Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

OSH AirVenture 2020 CANCELLED

14 posts in this topic

Posted

We Don’t Gamble, We Need A Sure Thing
AirVenture 2020 is officially canceled

My fellow EAA’rs. It is May here in Wisconsin, and unfortunately like many of you across the country, we are still under a stay at home order through May 26. Normally, this is the month when we start our preflight planning for EAA AirVenture Oshkosh. By this time, we should have begun ramping up our entire site in preparation for our July convention. Volunteers from across the country and world would have descended on Oshkosh. Together they would have formed work parties, our suppliers would begin start setting up tents and infrastructure. Our EAA staff would be printing wrist bands, campers guides, programs and an assortment of EAA collateral as full-on AirVenture execution begins.

But because of circumstances beyond our control, none of this can happen now. We cannot even get to the hangar so our preflight is left to watching the prog charts. While this certainly makes the ability to prepare for the event a scheduling problem, it does not preclude the bigger issue of predicting what will be the health guidelines in July. Right now, there are three phases that have been defined in Wisconsin as the recommended procedures. As I write this, we are not in Phase 1 yet. Phase 2 restricts gatherings to 50 people. Phase 3 allows for mass gathering with restrictions.

Our convention attracts EAA members not only from the U.S. but around the world. Today we cannot predict when we will be at a point that our event meets the all clear Phase 3 milestone for mass gathering with restrictions. As your leader, I see no clear path to meet our own requirements to insure the health and safety expectations our organization demands for our employees, members, volunteers, exhibitors and attendees. That includes sanitization, separation and personal protection requirements.

My conclusion is, like in any good flight planning, don’t take the risk. Therefore, I have no choice but to cancel AirVenture 2020. Together, we can come back stronger, safer and ready for AirVenture 2021 and create a memorable world class aviation event. Because of our dedicated and enthusiastic EAA members, our Association is strong. We know that at some point this storm will pass. And over the next 12 months we will continue to support all of you as we again, together, grow EAA in the Spirit of Aviation.

Respectfully,
Jack J. Pelton
Jack J. Pelton
Experimental Aircraft Association
CEO and Chairman of the Board

Posted

Well that sucks.  The politicians in this country have gone mad and I hope you folks remember this in November. 

I deleted the other 2 threads, must have been some posting issues this morning.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I hate it for you guys that attend and look forward to it. Me, it doesn't bother me, I am not an EAA member not have I been to SnF or OSK in years. They rooted out the common flyer years ago. When they went to the Expensive Aircraft Assoc.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I've only been there once myself, would like to go back someday but I'm pretty antisocial so I don't need that end of it, and it feels like shopping at Land's End when I'm really more of a thrift store kind of guy.  :)

Or put in another way, I found it a bit like Disney World where at the end of the day you have blisters on both your feet and your forehead and you've only "done" 10% of it LOL

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I go most every year, but wasn't planning to go before all this, and certainly wouldn't go now.  I don't play Russian Roulette on purpose either.  (every day is a really a game of Russian Roulette, we just pretend it isn't).

While I tend to agree that the virus isn't as dangerous as was originally feared, we also don't need it hanging around recurring every year, and learning how to be that dangerous.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

A bit sad but not unexpected. A group of us from New Zealand got our tickets in November  and even had campers booked. We had better restart our countdown calendars . 

Posted

Kinda figured that was coming. Definitely sucks but Not the end of the world. 

Posted

I hate it for you guys that attend and look forward to it. Me, it doesn't bother me, I am not an EAA member not have I been to SnF or OSK in years. They rooted out the common flyer years ago. When they went to the Expensive Aircraft Assoc.

The magazine tends to go more towards the Expensive Aircraft Association but the local guys I find are a good group of guys.  Most in our local chapter are not really experimental guys.  WE have a few but the majority are just guys that like to fly and get together to have a good time.  There is a lot of knowledge these old guys pass on and I kind of dig hanging out with them and listening to the stories.  When someone dings a bird they are quick to lend a hand getting it home and getting it back in the air too with loaner gear, props, struts etc.  I may not agree with EAA on a national level, but on the local level I am all about it. 

I am looking forward to getting out with the guys next weekend for a fly out clam dig adventure then roasting some brats on the beach and burning some air going out sight seeing.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I agree with you 100% about things on the local level. Most are a really good bunch of people and a lot of knowledge to be had. But there are no chapters within 100 miles of where I am and to start one, you have to be a member of the EAA to start with. So that leaves me out.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, maybe starting a hillbilly pilots club might work. Though pilots around here are as rare as fish feathers.

Posted

Once this Covid Crap is over with I would like to go visit with the local EAA Chapter 1365 They are about 15 miles away from our cabin In Wisconsin.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was committed to flying there again this year. It's super unfortunate, but predictable.

Posted

Going to miss seeing everyone for sure.

Here's to the 2021 Reunion! :BC:

Posted

Going to miss seeing everyone for sure.

Here's to the 2021 Reunion! :BC:

I was looking forward to catching up with you and everyone else!  This just totally suck.