Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Over 1000 members!

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been watching the count of members recently, and it was stuck at 998.  Just now I see the count went up to 1001.  Great!   Would be nice if a few more would post something though :-).  Questions, answers, flying experiences or whatever.  Mn is in the deepfreeze, and I'm laying around the house more and find my self on the PC more lately.  Take care,  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1001 Members - Great Progress Leni!
Jim,
Early in 2012 we had about 200 members and about 6 of them posting - Now we have about 12 posting - I agree - We need more input from more members - my old fingers are getting tired, and running out of ideas and BS!

I would like to see more reports and photos of plane building in progress and flying adventures.
EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Don't sell yourself short, Ed. You'll never run out of BS.

Hahahahahahaha!

bullshit-bs-smiley-emoticon.gif

2 people like this

Posted

Glad to know that someone reads it - Thanks Larry!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Just a few fotos of the progress to help you pass the time. This is my first build and it has been a blast and a challenge .but I love it so far . I live in central cal (Brentwood) and am looking forward visiting some of the off airport runways that Joey has posted . Also If any of you are passing through pm me we have a private runway at the house and would love to have visitors. Jbirdpost-988-0-22345500-1420601039_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-94042600-1420602756_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-64782400-1420602826_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-41793000-1420602913_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-98619600-1420602996_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Jbird,

Good building and good post - One question tho, if I am seeing things correctly - If you have been keeping up with the threads about brake pedal and MC ratios, you may find that your MC attachment so high up on the pedal that you don't have good brakes - The ratio should be about 2.5:1, with the MC attaching about 1" from pivot point - Also, there is a modification to the pedal you might want to check out (Mikesk?) that others have used.

The Matco site has some info on the ratios too.

Thanks for posting - Keep posting your progress.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Jbird,

I second what Ed said. My brake pedals looked exactly like yours (stock Avid), and the brakes were pretty worthless.  And don't waste your money on the 'intensifier' kit from Matco - it didn't help enough to fix the problem.  I changed to Matco 4G (shortest available) cylinders, external reservoir, and remade the pedals so the cylinders attached to an arm off the pivot, not the top.  That made a huge difference.  Stock couldn't hold the plane at 3000rpm (582), now I can do a runup at 5500

Mark

Posted (edited)

Jbird, looks like you are making good progress, keep it up, and one of these days you will be flying that thing! ;-)  Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Extensive condition inspection going on today.

post-130-0-52780500-1420669035_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Nice pictures guys. I guess I haven't really contributed too much lately as far as interesting updates. I've been side tracked on some other projects. Hope to get back at it soon. I did a fair amount of welding on my lower spar carry through a few weeks back. I'll try to post some pics of that when I get home.

Thanks Jbird and tcj for sharing!

Posted

Sweet progress pics!

Tom, looks like a serious condition inspection. Hope your not having any engine issues to bring on an engine off inspection.

:BC:

Posted

Ed and Jim thanks for the info on the brakes I will change them out and modify the pedals. I know these brakes are not that great my dad has a KF2 with the same setup. Also I'm going to order a new tail wheel leaf spring from kitfox they have 2 choices does any advice on which would work best on my mk4 thanks rusty

Posted

Sweet progress pics!

Tom, looks like a serious condition inspection. Hope your not having any engine issues to bring on an engine off inspection.

Nothing serious..I hope...with the engine.  It runs like a top and the EGTs are behaving but the rear crank seal is giving signs of leaking.  I noticed a little oil on the bottom of the crankcase a while back.  I wiped it clean and watched for it to return.  It did.  It only has 136 hours on it but its been 14 years sense it had new seals.

post-130-0-14230800-1420727465_thumb.jpg

Posted

Ed and Jim thanks for the info on the brakes I will change them out and modify the pedals. I know these brakes are not that great my dad has a KF2 with the same setup. Also I'm going to order a new tail wheel leaf spring from kitfox they have 2 choices does any advice on which would work best on my mk4 thanks rusty

Most of the comments I have heard from the TD drivers indicate that the Matco 8" tailwheel is most liked - Why don't you compare the cost of a new spring with the cost of a new tailwheel - And again, I don't know if it comes with a spring - I like nose-draggers!

EdMO

Posted (edited)

Also I'm going to order a new tail wheel leaf spring from kitfox they have 2 choices does any advice on which would work best on my mk4 thanks rusty

I just put Part# 13022-SP-35 on my Classic 4 Kitfox.  It is 3 leaves.  The bottom 2 leaves are full length and the top leaf shorter.  There is an oversize bolt hole on the tail wheel end of the middle leaf so it can flex.  I used just the bottom 2 (full length) leaves. 

Edited by tcj

Posted

Congrats to the 1000 Member mark! Impressive! :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I have taken the advice of Ed and a few others and built new brake pedals and installed matco 4g master cylinders the question that I have is ,when I plumb the brake lines what do I use to seal up the threads that go to the adapters , thanks rusty

Posted

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Jbird

I noticed in your photos your ELT is positioned horizontialy. Is this your final mount attitude? If so, you may want to investigate getting a 90 degree antenna adapter or, ideally, mounting the device in a vertical position. The horizontal plane of the antenna is 90 degrees from the standard emission polarity. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of any signal being emitted. Normal orientation of aircraft antennas is vertical. Receivers located very far from your transmitter will have difficulty receiving the signal, if at all.

KF2 owner - yet to be a driver

1 person likes this

Posted

good idea with the 90 degree adapter. i believe the elt has to be mounted in that position. there should be an arrow on the side saying forward. Keep posting Mr. nice to hear from everybody.

Posted

After reading TJay's response, I began to question the validity of my advise.

I researched my ELT which is a Ameri-King 450 121.5/243.0 MHZ model.
The installation instructions for this unit specifically state the antenna is to be mounted in a vertical orientation. Mounting the unit with the arrow pointing forward is also specified. This is because of the automatic activation feature of the unit in the event of an impact. That makes me suspect that units mounted in a vertical configuration may not activate properly. It also states the flexible antenna is only to be used for portable operation.
I have attached the ELT manual for any who wish to read it. I've also included AC 91-44A that relates to operational & maintenance practices for Emergency Locator Transmitters & Receivers.

02 IM 450 Rev A Installation Manual.pdf

ac_91-44a.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted

Good Post - Maybe should be relabeled and put into Files and Forms.

Thanks,

EDMO

Posted

I have mine mounted on its side pointed forwards and the external ELT antenna mounted inside the fuse in the extendwed baggage.. most ELT antennas get torn off when the plane flips upside down and while the pilot may head the ELT going off in his headset, its not getting out to the rest of the world.  I know a few people who spent days wondering why no one showed up, then it dawned on them, they pulled it and put the portable antenna on it and low and behold they had planes circling overhead in a few hours.

Posted

Thanks guys!

I hadn't given much thought to mine...before I began the investigation. The mount for it is affixed to a fuse tube on the right side aft of the seat. Yep, it is mounted vertical.  One more thing to tend to prior to getting in the air this spring.  I'm getting ready to remove the 582 to have it gone through and at least having the seals replaced. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been touched in 253 hours over nearly 15 years. The hoses have been replaced. The seller, who did not fly it, advised to look at the Bings. He was running it and one of them overflowed. I communicated with the prior flying owner and he confirmed he had instances of an overflow as well. Logs were water damaged and "destroyed". Too many unanswered questions in my mind. Good that I have experience buying used vehicles... :hammerhead:

1 person likes this

Posted

Some heli ELTS have been installed in planes.. the heli ELT mounts different due to the way they tend to fall out of the air and I think it will activate pretty much no matter how you hit the ground.  The airplane ELT's will only activate from a forward crash, always, sometimes, maybe, except.. as in they have proven to be less than reliable as the G switches have been prone to failure.  Its always best to have a panel mounted remote that you can push the button on just prior to hitting terra firma.  That way you dont have to worry about the G switch not activating.

Posted

I built a panel and mounted my antenna facing straight down inside the fuse. Most taildraggers seem to wind up on their backs in an accident. A couple old timers suggested the antenna be protected inside the fuse.

Edit I just noticed I was a page behind on replies when I posted.