Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Panels & ADS-B

12 posts in this topic

Posted

What is everyone doing for their panel? Im looking to keep it as cheap as possible and wondering what everyone is running for radios, gps, and ADS-B? just a handheld and Ipad? I don't have a transponder now, is this something I need to have? 

Posted

If your not flying into areas that require a transponder now, then you don't need adsb.  I have my garmin 295 in the panel on the Avid and an Icom panel mount radio.  I used a handheld and it was more of a pain with extra cords hanging etc.  

Posted

For a radio I use a handheld with an intercom that has a plug  and PTT made to go right into the handheld. It is kind of permanently installed in that all the wiring is tucked away and power wire are run to the intercom and handheld. It turns on and off with the master switch. That said, I am on the lookout for a good deal on a panel mount radio.

For engine instrument my airplane came with round dial instruments and they work OK.  I think I'm going to be replacing those with a engine monitor, either home brew or a GRT EIS for my 582.

For flight instruments I have standard round dials that include ASI, Altimeter, VSI, Skid-slip ball, compass.  If you go new prices for just that you will be around $800. At that price I think I would go with the Garmin G5 for experimentals for $`1250. You can get used instruments a little cheaper, which is what I did on my Sonerai, but you take a risk.  My Sonerai altimeter had problems and I wound up buying a new one.

ADS-B OUT - here is a good graphic of where ADS-B out is needed: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace/media/airspaceRequirements.jpg

ADS-B IN - cheapest route here is a Stratux ADS-B receiver and a tablet. This will give you moving map with traffic and weather.  There are apps that are free and subscription based with varying amounts of features. Most all give you moving map navigation, in-flight weather, and traffic.

I'm actually thinking about re-vamping my panel in the long run and imagine doing the Garmin G5, The GRT EIS, the stratux/tablet, a panel mount radio, and an ADS-B OUT transponder. I live right near the Chicago mode-c veil so it would be nice to have the ADS-B OUT so I can go into some of the Chicago suburb airports, or fly up the lake shore some time. 

Posted (edited)

The Europeans are or were switching some of their comm frequencies that were the same as ours. So a lot of folks especially gliders are having to install new radios.  That means they're selling the old ones for pretty reasonable prices. I bought a Becker comm unit that fits in a 2 1/4" hole for around $250 i think, been several years since i bought it. It came with a wiring harness with headset jacks and ptt. Not sure if the supply has dried up, but worth looking into. 

20190714_183742.jpg

20191021_190843.jpg

Edited by Willja67
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm about ready to start diving into a friend'd Becker (Same radio as your photo) with squelch issues. He has two and both have the same problem. I am hoping to find it is something with his install and not the radios themselves although he said neither radio had the problem then one got it (basically squelch won't mute) then he switched to the other radio and problem was solved then second radio developed same problem. I will post back here with what I find. They are very nicely made radios, not very heavy and take up very little space.

1 person likes this

Posted

If your not flying into areas that require a transponder now, then you don't need adsb.  I have my garmin 295 in the panel on the Avid and an Icom panel mount radio.  I used a handheld and it was more of a pain with extra cords hanging etc.  

I guess I am one of the lucky ones that don't need a transponder, ADS-B or anything. I do use a handheld, but since there are no Class C areas around and very few aircraft, and I don't go near 10,000' its pretty much open flying. Sometime in the future I think, it will be required for all registered aircraft to have ADS-B out and in. If I am still flying, I'll go pure 103 ultralight or hang it up. Who knows, by then there may be low priced options out there or portable transponders with built in ADS-B.

1 person likes this

Posted

Probably what we all need is ADS-B with a screen to watch! Just another gadget to keep our eyes in the cockpit instead of outside of it. Probably because I am old school when it comes to flying. Looking at a screen and seeing no traffic could give a false sense of security so we stop looking for traffic. Not saying ADS-B is a bad thing, just we shouldn't stop looking outside and become dependent on a little gizmo to tell us we're in the clear.

2 people like this

Posted

I've had ADS-B in my Cherokee for 6 years now (time flies).  If you ever fly with it, you will be amazed how many airplanes are out there you never saw.  It saved me from a close encounter at least once so far when a high wing took off from a private strip underneath my flight path, it was a setup for a classic high wing/low wing midair.  Of course, Florida has more airplanes per cubic foot of airspace than any other part of the country!

It is not something you are supposed to stare at and never look outside the window.  It is just another part of the scan.  There a plenty of aircraft that will never have ADS-B (especially in Florida!), and you have to watch for those as well.

One thing it has taught me is that even knowing exactly where the other small airplane is, I can't see it until it is within 2nm of me, and I have 20/15 distance vision (over 50, so reading glasses are now a part of my life though).  At Avid/Kitfox speeds, that is probably plenty, but at 150mph, if the other plane is also going 150mph that's only about 30 seconds from seeing it until collision.  It wouldn't take much distraction to add up to 30 seconds.  Especially when doing the beach inspection runs! :P

2 people like this

Posted

You do make a good point.  Even with new glasses that give me 20/15 it seems like its getting harder to pick out traffic when they call positions.  Of course, this may have something to do with people calling out general areas and they call 2 miles from XXX when they are 4 -6 miles out.  Or call 5 out and are 1 out :lol:  I still have issues sometimes seeing planes in the pattern especially if I am above them.  If you have lights on the plane light them up no matter what time of day it is and wig wag lights are WAY easier to pick up on.

:BC:

Posted

In a high volume traffic area, probably the best thing to have.  My biggest collision problem here is turkeys flying ridge to ridge. When they get ADS-B, I'll get one for sure! Thing about hitting a turkey is its dressed, cooked and delivered in your lap, if you have teeth left to eat it!

Posted (edited)

In a high volume traffic area, probably the best thing to have.  My biggest collision problem here is turkeys flying ridge to ridge. When they get ADS-B, I'll get one for sure! Thing about hitting a turkey is its dressed, cooked and delivered in your lap, if you have teeth left to eat it!

At least it's a real turkey.  Here in Florida the biggest flight hazard, particularly in the pattern are turkey vultures.  As big as a turkey, fly in flocks, seem to love airports, but completely inedible!  I know two people that have had a collision with them, one just needed one side of his windshield, the other got an insurance paid for engine tear down/inspect AND a new windshield after he hit two.  One hit the prop, the other went through the windshield.  The interior probably still has some turkey buzzard blood stains.

I am fully in favor of requiring any bird bigger than a sparrow to be ADSB-out equipped! 

<edit - fixed spelling>

Edited by marksires
Fixed spelling - changed fulling to fully

Posted

OUCH! We have them here too, but not as much a problem as the real turkey. Of course as slow as I move anymore, the are usually circling overhead. At least I know where they are!