Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying over Class C Airpsace

13 posts in this topic

Posted

If I wanted to fly VFR over class C airspace (like KSYR), are there any communication or transponder requirements to do so?  My understanding is no, but wanted to check here.  I do believe you need an active transponder to pass over Class B, but don't see anything for Class C.

Posted

The mode C vails for both Class C and B extend to 10,000 feet and the transponder is required above that so a transponder is required to fly over the top.  Often times you can request to enter the class C vail area and get permission to transition through the class C.  Thanks for the question made me review the regs for the mode c vails.  

2 people like this

Posted

I'll have to look, but I believe the requirement is to 'be in communication' with the controlling agency (usually the tower) before entering the airspace.  You don't have to be 'cleared' in to the C airspace like you do with class B, but you have to be talking to them first.

Mark

Posted

I am pretty certain that in being in contact with them, they will clear you to make the transition as requested or perhaps ask you to reroute depending on other known traffic.  Either way, you do need to make contact with them.

:BC:

Posted

Looked it up in the AIM on the FAA site.  Class C goes up to 4,000 AGL, 5 mile radius around the airport to the surface, with a 10 mile radius 'shelf' that starts at 1,200ft AGL.  Radio communication and Mode C transponder are required.  Radio communication is required prior to entering class C.  Communication means the tower responded with your Aircraft ID to your call.  Unless they specifically tell you not to enter the airspace, once they respond with your call sign, you are ok to enter.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/AIM.pdf  Page 3-2-4

Mark

Posted

I believe most of the time the controllers would prefer to clear you through with a transponder code so they can track you and know that they have contact with you for separation from other traffic. If you fly over they don't have a clue what you really plan to do.

Posted

The FAR that applies is 91.215 b.4.   The ref that applies in the AIM is 4-1-19  f. 2(a) and 2(c).  Hope this helps.

Posted

Great feedback.  Only was looking for overflight requirements.  If I read this correctly, no need to talk with anyone (as I am not entering Class C airspace) but do need to have a Mode C from above the Class C airspace to 10,000 ft in the veil?

Posted

Correct, I fly regularly over Milwaukee Class C with transponder, but just monitor approach frequency.

Posted

Ive flown over c with no transponder but monitored,never heard anything .

Posted

Pretty soon you'll need ADS-B to fly over C airspace.

airspaceRequirements.png

Posted

Great depiction.  Thanks for posting.

Posted

The pic posted above is showing where a transponder with altitude reporting (mode c) is Required now and in 2020 will require ADS-B