Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Methods for adding weight during Phase I testing

16 posts in this topic

Posted

26 hrs into the phase I flight testing and would like to start doing work with the higher gross weights (up to my max t.o. weight).

Unfortunately the Kitfox Model III doesn't qualify for the Additional Pilot Program (only Model IV and above).

I was thinking maybe strapping in sand bags or similar.  What do you guys use for this (materials and methods)?

Larry S.

Posted

I have a friend that burns wood pellets in his home. He has 50# bags of pellets. I borrowed a couple of those to add balast. 

Posted (edited)

I used a bunch plastic feed sacks filled with sand to various weights and labeled with a magic marker.  You need to put the sand in a plastic garbage bag first then put that in the feed sack.  The plastic feed sacks are porous.  I put the sand bags in a duffel bag and strapped it in the passenger seat and/or baggage sack.  I found my three point landings much better with the cg moved back by 20 pounds in the baggage. 

Edited by tcj
1 person likes this

Posted

I've used sacks of sackcrete strapped into the passenger seat.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Water softener salt & blocks.  Didn't cost me anything because I need it anyway.  Named my test passenger Mr. Salty.

Posted (edited)

26 hrs into the phase I flight testing and would like to start doing work with the higher gross weights (up to my max t.o. weight).

Unfortunately the Kitfox Model III doesn't qualify for the Additional Pilot Program (only Model IV and above).

I was thinking maybe strapping in sand bags or similar.  What do you guys use for this (materials and methods)?

Larry S.

Larry,  Where is the rule on additional pilots?   Why would one kit be different than another?  Is there never any "logic" in these rules? ???

Three 60 lb sacks of readymix = 180 lbs but put into a plastic trash bag as you load them.  That is = to a "standard FAA passenger" + a few years and 10 lbs that says it needs a better diet!   Ratchet straps or other in addition to seat belts to hold them in place - you don't want them to move!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If you want to class things up a bit you could buy a sexy blow up doll and fill her with sand. Not many people can say there passenger wears a bikini during flight.

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks All.  Ed, it is called the Additional Pilot Program for Phase I flight testing.  Have the paperwork at work.  Let me do a quick Google, should be there.  It only applies to approved kits and models.

Posted

Larry S.

Larry,  Where is the rule on additional pilots?   Why would one kit be different than another?  Is there never any "logic" in these rules? ???

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-116.pdf

Posted

Yep, there you go.  Thanks.

Posted

I guess, with the usual FAA logic (???) there must be a reason why the 1050 GW Kitfox 3 is not good enough for an additional pilot, and the later model is.....I didn't find the list of approved models.

EDMO

Posted

I suspect that no one felt the need to get the FAA to review the 3 to make sure it met the so called 51% rule.

The list is here: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/  or see attached.

Of course, the aircraft that would most likely benefit from having a second pair of eyes (and hand) on board would be the one-off never flown designs, so the FAA decided to implement this for the common, well known, not likely to have issues designs. Maximize paperwork while minimizing any real impact on safety.

But, I've wandered off the original topic.

amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just guessing, that the Kitfox 1,2,3 were Denny's kits and were OK on the 51% rule, but he had sold to Skystar who continued the Kitfox 4's, and made the 5,6 (7?) models - Then they had sold to Kitfox LLC, and McBean never applied for the 1,2,3 to be included in the new list since they were no longer made?

I can't ever have an additional pilot for my scratch-built Foxy, and may be getting too old to make the first test flight, and too poor to have a widow of a test pilot sue me for $$$Millions - So, I may just have to stop when I get this plane covered and let someone else paint and finish it and fly it.   Ageing sucks, but you can't stop Time!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just guessing, that the Kitfox 1,2,3 were Denny's kits and were OK on the 51% rule, but he had sold to Skystar who continued the Kitfox 4's, and made the 5,6 (7?) models - Then they had sold to Kitfox LLC, and McBean never applied for the 1,2,3 to be included in the new list since they were no longer made?

I can't ever have an additional pilot for my scratch-built Foxy, and may be getting too old to make the first test flight, and too poor to have a widow of a test pilot sue me for $$$Millions - So, I may just have to stop when I get this plane covered and let someone else paint and finish it and fly it.   Ageing sucks, but you can't stop Time!

EDMO

Ed get the damn thing built and I will come fly it.  No one to sue you from my side :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

EDMO

Ed get the damn thing built and I will come fly it.  No one to sue you from my side :lol:

:BC:

Thanks Leni - Slowly getting it done....I will even let you wear my Pink Shirt to fly a nosedragger, while Jim Chuk takes pictures!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I'll be there!  Get busy ED,  I'm not getting any younger either!  ;-) Jim Chuk