Kitfox 2 project start

35 posts in this topic

Posted

:welcome: Craig!

Doesn't look like very extensive damage, let alone 'totaled'. Seems like someone just decided to walk away from the repairs and deregister for liability purposes. Good for you. If you stretch it, beef it up, recover/paint it, maybe make new wide main gear and throw an Apex up front you should meet the 51% I would guess. You have some good guys on the forum out your way who will be happy to help (and spend your money). Have fun!

1 person likes this

Posted

:welcome: Craig!

Doesn't look like very extensive damage, let alone 'totaled'. Seems like someone just decided to walk away from the repairs and deregister for liability purposes. Good for you. If you stretch it, beef it up, recover/paint it, maybe make new wide main gear and throw an Apex up front you should meet the 51% I would guess. You have some good guys on the forum out your way who will be happy to help (and spend your money). Have fun!

thank you! Yes, I’ve been looking at that Apex. Looks pretty good!

Posted

You would have a rocketship. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

You would have a rocketship. :)

Great takeoff and landing performance but still slow cruise unless I reduce the under camber of the wings, right? 

Posted

Yes, but then you weren't planning on going fast in your KF were you? The KF 1-3 ribs, like the Avid HH and S.T.O.L. ribs seem to hit the aerodynamic wall around 85-90 depending on hp. Slightly different but very similar rib profiles. Now, if you want the best all-around performance, the Kitfox 4-7 rib profile is tough to beat. But it requires other changes, i.e. flaperons and control mixer, lift struts etc. so it's not a quick and EZ bolt on upgrade. Fly what you got, build and bolt on new wings a few years down the road maybe...

Posted

To the FAA, this is a dead aircraft. It no longer exist as far as they are concerned. The N number has been reassigned to another aircraft.

thank you, I will register for a new N number and prepare for the uphill battle getting airworthiness and builders cert.  i’m extremely new to all of this so I’m sure I will have many more questions for the forum. Thanks 

Hey Craig I saw your youtube comment on my video the other day, that's cool that you're close by. I worked quite a bit with the Spokane FSDO on my airworthiness cert. so reach out if you need any help or questions in working with them.

yeah, cool videos. Once this pandemic is ended I would love to see your airplane. We spent quite a bit of time in Wenatchee.  Thanks for the help.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, but then you weren't planning on going fast in your KF were you? The KF 1-3 ribs, like the Avid HH and S.T.O.L. ribs seem to hit the aerodynamic wall around 85-90 depending on hp. Slightly different but very similar rib profiles. Now, if you want the best all-around performance, the Kitfox 4-7 rib profile is tough to beat. But it requires other changes, i.e. flaperons and control mixer, lift struts etc. so it's not a quick and EZ bolt on upgrade. Fly what you got, build and bolt on new wings a few years down the road maybe...

Don’t need speed. The slower on landing, the better on this one. I’m really looking for slow and low with short takeoff and landing. I think the early model would fit the bill for me! 

Posted

Did you pick this up from Stillwater OK?

Posted

Did you pick this up from Stillwater OK?

No, Colorado City, TX about 2 months ago.  Not sure where he picked it up from though.

Posted (edited)

The N number is 121DC. I looked at that airplane back in May 2019 when it was in OK. It has a different prop on it now, but I'm pretty sure it's the same airplane. The guy that had it, when I looked at it, said it was de-registered 2 owners before him for "liability" reasons.  It's a nice airplane, engine sure ran nice, I hope you got it for a good price, he wanted 13k when I was looking at it. 

Edited by FireFoxIV