Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox header tank low fuel indicator

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Ive read other conversations about the header tanks and fuel lines, venting, ect...I didnt want to interrupt those conversations with another question.So the new thread. Has anyone made, found or know of a low fuel intecator set up that would fit in the Kitfox later models stock, behind the seat, header tank made of plastic? Go thru the plug hole on the side? 

Posted

murl made mine and it works with his header tank. looks like just 1/2 NPT not sure if that fits yours, there is a few out there that just tie into the vent line

Posted

There is at least  one type that I believe was supplied by Kitfox.  I have one that was with the unfinished Kitfox 4 that I have.  I'm not near it now to get a part # off of it, so can't help in that way.   Possibly doing a search in the archives here or on Team Kitfox site will turn something up.  I know most snowmobiles have a low oil level sensor in their oil tank, maybe something like that could be used???  JImChuk

Posted

My kf4 has a low fuel sender fitted in the side of the polytank.It appears to be an optical type,as when the sun gets the right angle the warning light comes on.

I would suggest painting the tank to stop false indications,which happen often enough that I ignore the light ,But passengers are always quick to point it out:bugeyes:

Posted (edited)

I found these on Mcmaster carr.  JImChuk     https://www.mcmaster.com/#optical-liquid-level-switches/=15d7jl0

I have to much time on my hands.  Looked some more, and found this.  Don't know if it would work or not, but interesting none the less. 

http://www.robotshop.com/en/non-contact-liquid-level-switch.html

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

I haven't explored these - haven't decided if I need one or just watch the clear vent tube to see if it has gas in it - I have the Late model Kitfox plastic rectangular tank with the hole in it for a sensor.  I noticed on the square aluminum foam-filled tank site that we were talking about they also have a sensor listed.  Spruce has them too.  I think I have seen these things from $7 to $150, and don't know much about them.   Some are activated by light, others by touching gas, and I think some are float or capacitor activated.  I don't like capacitor sensors - I think a Boeing blew up because of one - don't like electricity in my tanks.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I looked into the in-vent-line sensors for my KF and was informed they work best in a vertical line. If your vent line has a sloping route (ie. Kitfox vs. mostly straight up in the Avid), it may not work effectively. The older Kitfox low fuel system had a float sensor in a separate small round aluminum tank mounted above the behind the seat header tank. Much less prone to false alarms than the optical sensors in the poly header tank. I have a horizontal external mount float switch made by cynergy3 in my Aerotrek header tank, but they also offer internal and vertical mount switches. Cynergy3 is based in UK I think, but they do have a US Dealer network. Here's a pic and website link:  cynergy3

002 (4).JPG

003 (2).JPG

Posted

That's the header for your Aerotrek?

Posted

Just ordered the newer design that goes in the vent line from kitfox.  Like $180. 

Really not sure what it is going to look like yet, but can send some pics when it shows up.

1 person likes this

Posted

I found lots of float type on the company that Doug posted, but no prices - Then I went to their outlet in St.Louis, and no floats were shown. ???  EDMO

Posted

0904161014.thumb.jpg.b82ca61164f43ba41f5I did some checking to, and someone mentioned that kitfox perhaps used "Gems sensors" I looked and they have all kinds, they have a side mounted float switch type that screws in the plug hole, it will only be used to make a ground to a light, so little chance of a spark! I dont like power in fuel tanks either. It looks like the one at the top of Dholly s tank. Thanks for the answers! They come in different sizes of plug hole also, cost is 38.00 to 50.00, pretty inexpensive for the extra peice of mind, and the light is on the dash. That wasent the picture I was trying to post.

LS-7.pdf float sensor

Posted

I have no idea how the second one in my post works, but if it would give a reliable reading thought the side of a plastic tank,  I think it would be hard to beat.  Said it would read through 1 MM to 13 MM thick non metallic material.  At the $15.80 price they show, I would be willing to try it just to see if it would work.  And any electricity is on the outside of the header tank.   To bad I have a metal header tank in the Avid project.  The Kitfox 4 project does have a plastic tank though..... JImChuk  http://www.robotshop.com/en/non-contact-liquid-level-switch.html

Posted (edited)

0904161014.thumb.jpg.b82ca61164f43ba41f5I did some checking to, and someone mentioned that kitfox perhaps used "Gems sensors" I looked and they have all kinds, they have a side mounted float switch type that screws in the plug hole, it will only be used to make a ground to a light, so little chance of a spark! I dont like power in fuel tanks either. It looks like the one at the top of Dholly s tank. Thanks for the answers! They come in different sizes of plug hole also, cost is 38.00 to 50.00, pretty inexpensive for the extra peice of mind, and the light is on the dash. That wasent the picture I was trying to post.

LS-7.pdf float sensor

Al, that float type looks like the ones that Doug posted, but maybe a little higher price.  I have to check my Kitfox tank again to see if I need a vertical or horizontal float type, and what size fitting it has.   Thanks to both of you.  

Lights are great - Even better are bright, flashing, Red LEDs!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yes , Gems sensors have either vert. or Hoiz. sensors, the float type, but electronic types too, that sense the presence or lack of fluid, no moveing parts. Not sure on the cost of those.

Posted (edited)

Yes , Gems sensors have either vert. or Hoiz. sensors, the float type, but electronic types too, that sense the presence or lack of fluid, no moveing parts. Not sure on the cost of those.

I looked thru the vertical float sensors page, but didn't see any that were externally mounted (screw in from outside).  Guess my Kitfox tank is a horizontal hole anyway - got to check that and figure out what size threads.  That LS7 type 5 Nylon #140620 for $36 looks like it might be the one.   I never found one on the Cynergy3 sites.   Thanks,  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yes, thats the one I thoight would work to.