Installed extended baggage

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I got this canvas baggage bag from John Millers wrecked Avid. It zip ties in under the turtledeck. Has tons of room and doesn't weigh anything. For now I will have to remove the turtledeck to access it but I plan to hinge it later on. Kind of crappy pic but I tossed one of my 21s in for some sort of comparison. It's quite a bit bigger than a MK4 area. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

My baggage area states 30lbs. What are you able to put in yours weight wise?

Posted

As much as will fit. I have a W and B calculator and I can put almost 40lbs on my TW and still be at the aft limit. I only plan to put my big bulky items back there like tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc.

Posted

Very cool

is the weight and balance calculator something you made or an online app?

Posted (edited)

Joey,   I have one of those red bags from a Kitfox 3 - also a smaller bag that goes in the triangle area.  Might sell one or both if I get a good offer.   Have you seen the OMG prices in the Kitfox catalog for them?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Finished up my bag install today after I was so rudely interrupted by my Flaperon bashing into my head on Wed. Took a bike ride around the airport looking to scrounge some 1/8" ply for the floor and a guy had this funky colored foam board scrap piece. What do you know it fit perfect. Ran a couple strips of nylon reinforced tape across the bottom and called it good. This thing is pretty big. You can see in the one pic how deep it is and it goes all the way back to my comm antenna. One of these days I am going to pull my black bag out and sew a Velcro strip on it so the two connect and look clean under the turtle deck. For now I have to pull the turtle deck to access the red one but eventually I plan to hinge the back half of my lexan td.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I believe I would put a large radius on the corners of that bottom plate you installed.   Sharp corners can poke holes, sort of like flaperons can---------Well,  you know!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Joey, and anyone,

If you put a hinge across or lengthwise in the turtledeck you better have a plan to keep it from leaking - this has always been a problem for the hinged turtledecks - I would rather just remove mine to get to rear baggage sack.  I wonder if one of us could design a 2-piece turtledeck so that the two parts would seal better than a hinge?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A group of got weathered in 4 days on our around the top of NZ safari.i had heard about leaky turtledecks so put surgical tape on the inside hinge line,no leaks at all! The windscreen to cowl was the problem (very wet radio$)

1 person likes this

Posted

A group of got weathered in 4 days on our around the top of NZ safari.i had heard about leaky turtledecks so put surgical tape on the inside hinge line,no leaks at all! The windscreen to cowl was the problem (very wet radio$)

After having to replace my first A210 in my plane due to that same leak I put a plastic bag over the radio so water dripping under the cowling seal can't hit the radio anymore.  Works well and in the future I may replace the plastic baggy with a cut up milk jug water shield to make the water run onto my feet instead of the radio!

:BC:

Posted

Any suggestions for sealing the WS/Cowl?  EDMO

Posted

time on bended knee calling upon a higher power to help ya out :dunno:  :lol:    Take lots of time fitting the windshield to the cowling, use good foam sealant material and change the foam out every year at condition inspection time.  Never take the cowling off when its iced up or you will destroy the foam tape..

Posted

time on bended knee calling upon a higher power to help ya out :dunno:  :lol:    Take lots of time fitting the windshield to the cowling, use good foam sealant material and change the foam out every year at condition inspection time.  Never take the cowling off when its iced up or you will destroy the foam tape..

Hmmm - Sounds like I may be taking some time to try and figure out another engineering change?  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Make a catch tube drain for the bottom of the windshield.  Use a length of about 1/2 inch plastic tubing long enough to reach through the floor on one side and up to and across the bottom front edge of the windshield and back down through the floor on the other side.

Slit the tubing lengthwise in the center so it can be slid onto the bottom front of the windshield.  Cut V notches in the tubing about every inch or so on the front side of the windshield.  These notches are to collect the rain water running down the windshield.  Route the ends of the tubing through the floor on each side.

The rain runs down the windshield, into the V notches and down the tubing through the floor to the outside.

Edited by tcj
2 people like this

Posted

Best Engineer in the world is a free-thinker!  Thanks for the input tcj. Good Flying,  EDMO

Make a catch tube drain for the bottom of the windshield.  Use a length of about 1/2 inch plastic tubing long enough to reach through the floor on one side and up to and across the bottom front edge of the windshield and back down through the floor on the other side.

Slit the tubing lengthwise in the center so it can be slid onto the bottom front of the windshield.  Cut V notches in the tubing about every inch or so on the front side of the windshield.  These notches are to collect the rain water running down the windshield.  Route the ends of the tubing through the floor on each side.

The rain runs down the windshield, into the V notches and down the tubing through the floor to the outside.

Posted

Best Engineer in the world is a free-thinker!  Thanks for the input tcj. Good Flying,  EDMO

Just guessing - if you cut the bottom ends at an angle that might produce some suction in the tube to enhance the ability to drain off the water?  EDMO

Posted

tcj.....   

You didn't work for Boeing / Douglass did you?

This is the exact " windshield gutter"  we have in the B-717!

Works great, even though the airbus guys laugh at us... (but then their airplane calls them a "retard.. retard" every time they are in the flare!)

(...which reminds me of my tailwheel instructor...)

:lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

KNZ  has what looks like a "u" shaped shower moulding fitted between the dash top and screen so any water that runs down the screen is directed away from the electrics to the sides,I wish JFA had this, the plastic bag temporary fix is what saved the day.

the plastic tube idea sounds good

1 person likes this

Posted

Or just move to CA...it rains about 5 days a year.

Posted

Not enough money in the world for me to live there…  

Sorry Joey.  You're on your own.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Quit bragging - We know it is a desert!   And the rest is burning!   And Hillary will win the votes!  The TV don't lie!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Well im not totally sure what we chattin about but if ur havin trouble keepin the inside of ur plane dry in the rain from water runnin down windsheild and gettin behind cowl at there meetin point.  Just use some butyel tape (its a normal old school window seal) its sticky but not enough that u cant get it apart. Very cheap stuff, like $10-12 a roll about 15' long. Get it at auto store or body and paint suppy put it on ur cowl then assemblie and rivit/screw it down. Here a few pic of mine after put in new lexan. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Is that a custom paint job on the cowl?  Special paint?  Just had to ask!  ;<)  EDMO

Posted

Custom paint u ask? Heck yea it is!!! The best that kyrlon can squeeze in a can. The old paint job was done in late 80's and paint was comin off so took the cheap quick repair method,  pretty paint don't make her better, but mayb rough paint will make it fly slower. Hahahaaaaaa!!! 

Posted (edited)

Like my buddy said when he was caught in a hailstorm in his metal-winged Luscomb:  "They put dents in golfballs to make them fly better"!  :BC: EDMO

Edited by EDMO