Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Broke 100 hrs in the log book tonight

33 posts in this topic

Posted

not the nicest looking hysol job im sure but had fun doing it

post-999-0-36838800-1420598619_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

It will all get covered some day, and everyone will be looking at your paint job - didn't know you needed to keep a time in your builders book - I didn't.....probably would scare myself - I keep dates of work - goes back a long way - probably 100 months on the first build, and working on 100 months on the rebuild!!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Awesome! It'll be ready for fabric before you know it. Are you doing aluminum sheeted leading edge and trailing edge? Upgraded rib tails? Couple things I would do if I had my wing bare again. The bat wing trailing edge is kinda cool though.

1 person likes this

Posted

trailing edge will be aluminum as will the rip tails, but the leading edge, does it make any difference on an under camber wing?

Posted

trailing edge will be aluminum as will the rip tails, but the leading edge, does it make any difference on an under camber wing?

I would say most assuredly it will look better.

Posted

If you do a search using Lee Dubay , you will find a sketch I posted a while back on an aluminum leading edge. Might give some ideas. Jim Chuk

Posted

I am one of those who like the plastic leading edge that Kitfox sells - It protects your spar from bumps - guess it helps streamline a little bit too.

EDMO

Posted

Any idea what it's going to take to get all those fixed? :-)

Seriously, Good progress!

Posted

Get all what fixed do you see something I don't

1 person likes this

Posted

Get all what fixed do you see something I don't

The title of the thread is "Broke 100 Hrs." I just attemped a dumb joke...

1 person likes this

Posted

lol sorry ill have another beer tonight thanks man

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5% finished - 5% beer! I probably need to send you some Service bulletins on elevators, which aint big enough - and reinforcement of rudder pedal uprights - maybe others. The vertical and rudder are about a foot too short for that engine, IMO.

EdMO

BTW: Kitfox has a modification kit for the flaperon controls to give differential deflexion and better turns, if you are interested download the catalog.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The title of the thread is "Broke 100 Hrs." I just attemped a dumb joke...

You got me on that one too... but now I'm cracking up :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

BTW: Kitfox has a modification kit for the flaperon controls to give differential deflexion and better turns, if you are interested download the catalog.

Ed, What is this kit you mention?  I just rechecked their catalog and found nada.  Would it be applicable to just Model I, or any Model I - III?

Posted

I would bet the f7a arms from avid would fit the mod.1. One if the members here was making them, not sure if he still is though. Do a search for f7a.

Posted

I know little about the kit - even less about the Avid controls - Don't think they are alike - Let me check my catalog, but sure they fit model 1,2,3 - model 4 was when the modification came with kit.

I know the later model 5 and up had a completely different looking mixer. I think my memory is getting old...

EdMO

Posted (edited)

Ed, What is this kit you mention?  I just rechecked their catalog and found nada.  Would it be applicable to just Model I, or any Model I - III?

On page 32 of the Catalog on the Kitfox factory page.    It is for the model3.  I can't post the link.  It changes when I paste it then post.

Edited by tcj

Posted

As far as I know, the first 4 models were same floor width - I couldn't click to the site you said - I have hard copies of catalog, and Ed Downs' book - Will check - You could call Kitfox tomorrow.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

to be honest I have never flown an airplane that had differential ailerons, not sure I would notice the difference Would I?.

Posted (edited)

I think you would notice the $1000 missing from your money! Without it, you just have to do a little more work with your controls - I am a firm believer that anything can be modified - You just have to know how - I checked my catalog, and it does say "Model 3"? Havent looked at the other book yet. The big difference in "widths" was mostly at the elbows, or shoulders, I think.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The mod4 upgrade changes the mixer entirely. The model 1 kf is a direct copy of the avid a model. I'm pretty certain that we put the f7a arms on bobs mod 1, I will check when I go over there today.

The original mixer gives 2:1 more down flaperon than up.. this is what causes the drag / adverse yaw. The f7a mixer arms gets you more up than down action on the roll input and removes most of the adverse yaw. It's still easy to control with just using your feet in the stock configuration.

Posted

so where does a guy buy this arm or get plans to make it. Any ideas

Posted

On page 32 of the Catalog on the Kitfox factory page.    It is for the model3.  I can't post the link.  It changes when I paste it then post.

OK, I've got it now, thanks!   At $2,195, unless it can magically turn my KFIII into a IV, I think I'll continue to use my feet.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My catalog says $995 - Have prices doubled, or, are you looking at tailfeathers mod too - If the parts that Leni thinks will do the job will work, then they are only a small part of your beer budget....

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this