Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

7 posts in this topic

Posted

29AUG2023- Hello, I purchased my Cat in 2016 from a guy who got it from another guy. It has the wings complete, the stick controls, fiberglass nose, and landing gear. I have some questions for the group

-Has anyone modified this beast with suspension?

-Has anyone built their own gullwing doors?

-Does anyone have any schematics for alternative engines such as the Viking Honda?

I'm an igloo-dwelling, beaver eater up here in broken-toe Ontario Canada, and always wanted one of these critters, alas 911 struck and everyone bailed out of building airplanes so I built a Murphy Maverick which I just sold. It's time for the Cat to get built. 

Dan Kerr 

Posted

03SEP2023-ok, no replies to that one. Has anyone ever removed the wing tip sponsons and replaced them with the mid-wing ones?

Posted

Sadly, it seems that not many people on the site have experience with the Catalina.  Myself included.  As long as I'm here though, I'll make this comment as far as engines go.  I'm a real fan of the 912 Rotax.  I'm flying with an 80 HP in my Kitfox 4 and have the 100HP in my new Kitfox 4 build.  They are very nice engines and pretty light for the power they produce.  There are more used ones out there all the time, especially as people move to higher HP Rotax engines.  I would really look into them rather than an auto conversion.  In the end you probably wont spend any more money, and will have a lighter better performing airplane as well.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Welcome! Good luck with your new aircraft, the Catalina is a great aircraft.

Let me agree with 1avidflyer that car engines often cost you 75 to 100 lbs of useful load, CG headaches and lots of fitting problems. The 912 variants are fine engines, and so too is the 670, with 92 HP and easily fitted 582 mount. The nice thing about the 670 is it weighs only about 15-20 lbs more than the 65 HP 582, but matches the smaller 912's in HP. I swapped my 582 for a 670 on my Avid Mk IV, and it was all upside. Great engine, lots of power, starts easily and fairly low fuel burn.

The 670 is also about 1/2 the cost of a 912, esp from Rotax Rick. Less than $6K complete.

AS far as modifying the Catalina, not too many were built, and the design works very well, so I bet few folks tried to modify them as you want to. But hey, our hobby is exactly what you want to do, so have at it!

Thinking about what engines to try, there is a good Yamaha Apex following on this site, and the weight/power of the 4 stroke with electronic Fuel Injection is eye watering. Might be worth a look, it seems you can get 130+ HP out of them with a pretty reliable kit.

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Hi! my Catalina has gull wing doors. Here are a couple pictures (including one in back of my home where I intend to play a lot :-) . I have not flown mine yet, but it's getting close. It's ready to move to the airport and put the wings on. I need the phase one flyoff moved to my area. That is in process with the FAA now. I need a condition inspection since I am not the builder, and I need to do a W&B once it is together. Mine has a blue head 582 which I just fired up a week ago and runs fine. That's a relief. I have re plumbed and re wired the entire aircraft. It is pretty much ready to go and I am getting excited.

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN, GREAT INPUT. SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPITALS BUT I CAN'T SEE THE LOWERCASE THAT WELL. CHRIS, NICE JOB MAN, COOTOES TO YOU......THEY SAY COPYING IS THE SINCEAREST FORM OF FLATTERY SO IF YOU CAN PROVIDE ME ANY PICS OR SCHEMATICS OF THE GULL WINGS I SHALL COPY YOU. 

JIM, THANKS FOR THE ENGINE INPUT, CERTAINLY WORTH CONSIDERING, I HAVE A 618 CBOX FOR THE FIT. 

LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING AT IT RIGHT AFTER AN UPCOMING PROSTATE OPERATION....CAN'T WAIT.

EMAIL IS KERRPAD1@GMAIL.COM, THANKS AGAIN.....DAN KERR CBM3 KERR AIRFIELD-10SEP2023

Posted

Regarding engine choices for the catalina...it's all about weight and W&B. The Catalina is fairly tail heavy and the engine is located back of the aircraft's c of g. From my experience using a 912, I would not install anything heavier because you will have to add weight in the nose to fly solo....that means heavier engine + ballast to fly:(

Lastly the fuselage upper structure was designed for 65Hp and the most powerfull engine installed with dean wilsons blessing was the 912. I would not trust the structure to be strong enough for more horses....if you do I suggest a structural analysis.

L.