Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Propeller protection tape

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  a guy on the Team Kitfox forum posted a picture of his IVO prop were he had replaced the SS protection tape with a 3M product that is made for helicopter blades.  He says it has stood up better then the SS tape IVO supplies.  I have several props I would like to put the tape on, so I got looking and found where I can buy a larger roll of the tape.  The bigger roll would be more then I need however, and so I figured I would throw this out  there.  Does anyone want to try this tape on their props?  If I get the roll, I could sell three 1' pieces for $10.50 shipping included.   IVO gets $8 each plus shipping for the SS tape.  Anyone interested, send me a PM.  Here is a picture of his plane with the tape on the prop that I borrowed from the Team site.  JImChuk

Name:  20200602_140207.jpg Views: 56 Size:  149.4 KB

1 person likes this

Posted

I had an IVO prop that I had replaced the SS leading edge tape on. I cleaned the blades well and carefully applied the SS tape. We flew across the mountains to a fly in at Olympia in Washington. Once there I decided to fly out and visit my sister in Silverdale, a relatively short flight. As I took off from Olympia, and left the pattern, My engine started vibrating badly enough that it was very concerning. I called the tower told them I had a vibration and requested a landing on the runway in my most direct return path. They granted it and I landed without incident. When I got parked and was trying to figure out what the heck was wrong, I realized one of the pieces of SS tape had come off a blade and unbalanced the prop causing the vibration. Never would have thought that thin little tape missing would have vibrated like that. I removed the tape from the other two blades and it was smooth as silk again. I re-applied the tape when I got home and never had a problem with it coming off again.

1 person likes this

Posted

I went to the 3M tape on my last Ivo and I liked it better than the SS stuff that Ivo sold.

1 person likes this

Posted

The best band is made of stainless steel!

122561637_3727336913951969_6910746123537558625_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

The best band is made of stainless steel!

122561637_3727336913951969_6910746123537558625_n.jpg

yes we know stainless steel is the best Meglin, that is what the SS means in the conversation. 

Posted

Hi all,  a guy on the Team Kitfox forum posted a picture of his IVO prop were he had replaced the SS protection tape with a 3M product that is made for helicopter blades.  He says it has stood up better then the SS tape IVO supplies.  I have several props I would like to put the tape on, so I got looking and found where I can buy a larger roll of the tape.  The bigger roll would be more then I need however, and so I figured I would throw this out  there.  Does anyone want to try this tape on their props?  If I get the roll, I could sell three 1' pieces for $10.50 shipping included.   IVO gets $8 each plus shipping for the SS tape.  Anyone interested, send me a PM.  Here is a picture of his plane with the tape on the prop that I borrowed from the Team site.  JImChuk

Name:  20200602_140207.jpg Views: 56 Size:  149.4 KB

hey Jim count me in for a set of those tapes. How many sets will u have to sell off ur roll i may take two sets.  Thanks Bucky. 

Posted

I never got much interest in it, so never got the roll of tape.  JImChuk

Posted

Man i better start reading the dates on the posts. Hahahahaaa thanks Jim. 

1 person likes this