13 posts in this topic

Posted

I am new to this site and just inherited my dads AVID Mark IV STOL aircraft. I need to know if there are manuals available for the kit manufacture since I cannot locate any of the material my dad had. Any help in finding links or copy of CDs would be very much appreciated thank you in advance. MARK at AVID is wrapped up with the opening of the store still, not much help there.

61FD0AC2-0641-40B7-9474-2554CFF99A79.jpeg

375E0B5C-3FA9-4174-A4CE-C66A7C9FA01C.jpeg

72EDCC88-CF91-4D2A-8BA1-B287438A6D5F.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

The first thing you wanna do is try to get that paper off the Lexon!

Posted

Yep I tried after trailering it home. Need to soak with towel and water. 

Posted (edited)

There are copies of the build manual in the files and forms section of this group.  Here is a link to them.  Looks like you will have a nice plane to fly there.  Don't hesitate to ask questions as you go along.  We are happy to help.  I suggest some black lightening stripes down the sides like a cub.  Welcome to the group.   JImChuk

avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4220-avid-mk-iv-build-manual/

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Might try a gentle touch with a heat gun first. Welcome and enjoy!

Posted (edited)

That is fantastic and you look very happy in the pictures Taking it home is only the beginning of the good times. You will find all the help you need here.

Edited by TJay

Posted

thanks for info all, i see i am with a good crowd, 

the plane has been sitting with water and oil in tanks 5 or so yrs. rotex 583. thinking about core exchange with florida rick for a 670. an good or bad thoughts weclomed.  mounts? , rigging? accessory box?

the manual link is much appreciated!!!!!

plane is together just need goooood look over. some parts missing. WINGS BOLTS:TAIL WHEEL SPRINGS; BUNGE LANDING any links for vendor needed 

story time

Dad is 93 one of the true west texas cowboy. going to rent pilot and plane for an hour flt this june, his Bday. let the journey begin.

i work in afghanistan 11 hours dif. morning is yalls nights visa versa. late communcations but thanks for all advise. myself faa a/p with fcc avionics speciality work. rotor wing blawkhawk UH60.

Might try a gentle touch with a heat gun first. Welcome and enjoy!

thanks will do.

Posted

I have a Kitfox 4 with a 582 and at least in Illinois, it has plenty of power at our 500-700 ft typical field elevation even in the hot summer.

Posted

The wing bolts (be sure to use AN bolts)  and tail springs should be available from any aircraft hardware supplier, such as Aircraft Spruce.  They also sell the bungee material, they call it shock cord.  The size you want is 3/8", and part # is 06-12400.  I would order 17', that will be long enough for both bungee cords.   I will try to find a post that gives directions on how to make the bungees up.  I will edit this post if I find it and put a link in after a PS at the bottom of the post.   The 583 was a very popular snowmobile engine, that was sometimes converted for airplane use.  The 582 was made specifically for aircraft use.  The 583 has rave valves, the 582 does not.  Maybe you meant to say 582??   These are fine little airplanes, I have a Jabiru engine in mine, and it does quite well.  Flew mine yesterday, and put a video in the pic and vids section.  Get her flying, have some fun!  JImChuk

Posted

The front spar of the wings uses a clevis pin, rather than a bolt, for ease of folding. 

Posted

The front spar of the wings uses a clevis pin, rather than a bolt, for ease of folding. 

If you don't ever fold the wings, a bolt is maybe better.  My clevis pins work their way up after a while it seems.  I had to knock them down yesterday before I went flying.  Been thinking about going to bolts and now probably will.  JImChuk

Posted

Congratulations and Good Luck, you will have a blast. 

I have a Rotax Rick 670 and it is great, a drop in for the 582 and a true 91 HP powerful engine. Since a Rick overhaul is about $2200 and the 670 is about $3600, it is a no brainer to send the old 582 and get a nice zero time 670 in its place.

For common hardware, I suggest getting a cheap Harbor Freight digital caliper and miking all the bolts yo want to swap for new, that way you get exactly the right ones. Aircraft Spruce has great data tables with exact dimensions to make it easy.

Questions? Just post them, lots of experienced guys here helped me get mine up, they are great fellows.