Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 912 ULS Electrical.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay I am at that phase where I need help with some electrical.  Below are some pictures. Please give me some direction.

Picture 1:  That is the starter switch.  Where does red go to.

Picture 2:  The two white wires where cut.  Where do they hook up.

Picture 3:  The two white wires where cut.  Where do they hook up.

Picture 4:  What hooks to the pole I am pointing to.

Thanks for your help.  I am real close to being done and will post video of first start up and first take off and flight with 912 ULS 100 HP.  I hope to go to moon and back.  :o

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

Posted

I can only speak to the last pic.  There should be a terminal that has an S on it on the back of the key.  That is the one that is only hot when the key is in the start position.  It will go to the solenoid to engage the starter.

Posted

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data.html

On the right side of the page he has the wiring diagrams for the rotax engines.  This should give you all you need to know Mr!

Posted

Ya know I look at those electrical diagrams and end up with questions anyways because I don't trust my interpretation.  :huh:

Posted

I'm trying to remember from when I worked on the wiring on my 912 Kitfox 4, and I think the 2 white wires are the kill switch wires.   That was at least 5 years ago, so don't bet the farm on it.   I'm not near them now where I could look either.   JImChuk

Posted

Page 16, Chapter 74 of the heavy maintenance manual give a good account of the regulator plug.

1.  Discard the Left-Right-Both-Start switch immediately.  The ignition boxes are about $1000 each and this switch will destroy them eventually.

2.  C & L are for use with a "charge" warning light.  Most people do not use these.  L is for the lamp and C goes to 12volts and the other side of the lamp

3.  These white wires go to either the ignition coils or the flywheel pickup coils depending on which plug they are coming out of.  There are several different ignition box plug combinations, the answer to this question depends on which boxes you have.  Do you have one with two six-pin plugs or a four and a six or two fours... Etc.

4.  I can not identify that component.  Is it a relay/solinoid for the starter?  Is it some type of slow blow fuse?  Maybe this is a ground?

Posted

When you say lamp what is that.

Posted

If the left right both start switches are not good then what do you recommend.

Thanks

Posted

Lamp is probably an Idiot light on the dash telling you weather you are charging the battery, Just a 20 dollar Napa switch and two toggles, is what some use,

Larry do the left right start switches work if you install the diode? the switch its self is nothing more than two self contained toggle switches and a starter switch?

Posted

Lamp is just a light of some sort, LED or incandescent.

Yes, two heavy duty toggles (250v ac) for the ignitions and a decent start switch.  I used a keyed on-off for my master and a momentary button for the start function.

I"m not an electrician or electrical engineer, so I don't know what to do to make the "left/right" switch work.  I do know that the AC passing through it will feed back into the ignition modules somehow and fry them over time.  This has been the source of much debate, but if LEAF says the expensive switch is bad and cheap toggles are good, there experience far outweighs mine.

Posted (edited)

Can any of you tell me what the "R" terminal is used for on the Rotax 912 Rectifier.  If I understand correctly the R and Batt tie together with C and there needs to be a switch on C so the batter does not drain.

Thanks

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

If you are using a master solenoid controlled by your master switch no other switch is necessary because the battery is disconnected when the master switch is off.