Winter

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess winter is here, -29F at the airport right now but only -10 on the mountain bit of an inversion going on right now. 

Posted

Keep that stuff up there!!!! :) Supposed to be 25 tonight.

Posted (edited)

I'm having a tough time as well.... wife hates it to.  JImChuk

I should have added that I've lived in northern Mn almost my whole life, and sure can relate to what you are going through now.  Like we always say during winter up there "at least there aren't any mosquitos" 

Photo1045.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm having a tough time as well.... wife hates it to.  JImChuk

I should have added that I've lived in northern Mn almost my whole life, and sure can relate to what you are going through now.  Like we always say during winter up there "at least there aren't any mosquitos" 

Photo1045.jpg

Jim, what are you fishing for? Any luck down there?

Posted (edited)

No sharks in MN - they feed all year!  Watch out for JAWS!   :<)   The flap / aileron pattern I just made reminded me of that....   EDMO

Scan0361.jpg

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just fishing for what ever wanted to bite.  I did get a couple of whiting.  They are not a big fish, but dont' taste to bad.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Craziness in CA too! It's been raining almost 12 straight hours! Can't remember the last time that happened! 

Posted

Craziness in CA too! It's been raining almost 12 straight hours! Can't remember the last time that happened! 

Time for a float rating!  No more dry desert.... EDMO

Posted

sorry this was supposed to be sarcastic 

Posted

sorry this was supposed to be sarcastic 

Thought I was sarcastic - California still burning?  Ed

Posted

Cold? I use to have to work an open station tractor in the cold... Well no more. This should make a good "tug"?

I found a new project... an old 450 AG CAT.... In pretty good shape. I was thinking about making it a two holer....

high_zpspmiyapbd.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I am looking forward to single digit highs next week with lows in the teens below zero.

Posted (edited)

Cold? I use to have to work an open station tractor in the cold... Well no more. This should make a good "tug"?

I found a new project... an old 450 AG CAT.... In pretty good shape. I was thinking about making it a two holer....

high_zpspmiyapbd.jpg

Paul, Was that the ag plane that was on ebay recently - Sounded like a good buy to me, but didn't know what the GW was on it - Well, I really don't want a factory plane anymore at my age.   A 2-holer sounds good.  Post some pictures.  I drove open cockpit wagon and mules in November!  Too cold for a boy to hand-crank the old Farmall F20!   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Yea, I had some tug time in the cold and rain when I was a slave at an FBO. Not fun. Especially since they had a bad hail storm right before I was hired. Every time a cloud blew up we were moving planes. I worked in maintenance and they would call me out of the shop to help put the planes up. Rain, lightning and all. We'd pack them in all the hangers including the maintenance hangers which would pretty much shut down any work.

Was kind of joking about the Ag Cat. I do know where there one is though. I don't think he's flown it one time this year. All my pilot buddies say they fly like a dream. I have seen them already converted to a two holer. It would probably be cheaper to buy one already done.

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

You can thank me Joey.  I was there all last week (Stockton).  I was also there the last time it snowed in Sacramento.  If you have a cold/wet snap, you can pretty much figure I'm there....

Mark

Posted

high_zpspmiyapbd.jpg

This is why I have no sympathy for farmers anymore.  Your office is more comfortable and has a better view than mine!  When I was working on a farm, I had to drive an 'no cab' tractor.  The farmer got the one with heat/air, his son got the one with heat, I got the one that was left :) I remember once around thanksgiving I came in for lunch, and despite having long underwear, insulated coveralls, 2 pairs of insulated socks, sweatshirt, the hat/mask bank robbers seem to like, and two pair of gloves I still had to sit on the tractor after I stopped it for about 5 minutes before I could move my legs they were so d*mn cold....

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm still suffering with the winter.  Got a bit of sunburn on my face and legs today.  Also had to put up with this racket from these guys that kept flying up and down the beach showing off.  Then every time I was ready to relax, a rod would start jerking and I would have to run down and tend to it.  JImChuk

PS  when I waved my arms at the planes to try to chase them off, they turned around and did barrel rolls as they went by.   Oh well, I'm supposed to go flying in a Kitfox 4 over in Pennsecola on Thursday.  Maybe we'll cruise the beaches annoying people also.  ;-)

Photo1064.jpg

Photo1066.jpg

Photo1059.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Is that a baby shark?  rub some salt in that sunburn - it will feel better - to us!  Ha!  Have fun.... EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the advice Ed.  Those blue angels were buzzing around for about 4 hrs today.  I know last year, we didn't see them after the 1st of the year.  Maybe they get a vacation for a bit before the summer shows and such.  I know they were showing off to, there were only about a half dozen of us on the beach for a mile or two, and when we waved at them, they came back close in and did the barrel rolls.   I just had my cheap phone camera, wish I had a better one with me that would shoot pictures faster.   It was nice anyway.  Mid 70s for temps and light winds.  I keep looking at the forcast for northern Mn, and feel for them.  Supposed to be a high of -5 on Wednesday and low of about -15  JImChuk

Posted

I do feel sorry for you Jim, missing out on winter.  It is Kind of hard to run a ski plane on the sand.  I guess that I am one of those sick ones that think winter is the best time of the year.  Fishing sure is a lot more fun when it is warm for sure, enjoy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well to tell the truth, I am going to be missing home and my projects and such long before I get back.  My wife has health issues, and mostly going south is for her benefit.  I probably wouldn't do it myself.  Certainly not for that long anyway.  I've got all the winter toys back home, and liked using them.  I figure as long as I'm stuck here, I might as well make the best of it ;-)  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is why I have no sympathy for farmers anymore.  Your office is more comfortable and has a better view than mine!  When I was working on a farm, I had to drive an 'no cab' tractor.  The farmer got the one with heat/air, his son got the one with heat, I got the one that was left :) I remember once around thanksgiving I came in for lunch, and despite having long underwear, insulated coveralls, 2 pairs of insulated socks, sweatshirt, the hat/mask bank robbers seem to like, and two pair of gloves I still had to sit on the tractor after I stopped it for about 5 minutes before I could move my legs they were so d*mn cold....

:P The tractor this one is replacing was open station and over 30 yrs old. It was time! ;)

I have my share of time in open station tractors. But most of that was in the heat. Getting older I can't stand the cold. Can't keep my hands warm. I need to migrate south with Jim!!!

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

Well to tell the truth, I am going to be missing home and my projects and such long before I get back.  My wife has health issues, and mostly going south is for her benefit.  I probably wouldn't do it myself.  Certainly not for that long anyway.  I've got all the winter toys back home, and liked using them.  I figure as long as I'm stuck here, I might as well make the best of it ;-)  JImChuk

Well were all excited to see what you haul home on the roof of your car this year.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I do know of an Avid not to far from me that might be had for a reasonable price.....    Wouldn't be the first time I hauled an airplane half way across the country.   JImChuk

1 person likes this