Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MOFOCO vw engine questions

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,  Yes my wife rolled her eyes also today when I told her what I was going to do.  Anyway, a guy about 30 miles from me had a rather rough shape KR-1 airplane that I had heard about.  He wants to get rid of it fairly cheap.  The engine is the aforementioned mofoco vw engine.  I had never heard of them before.  Any one have any info or experience with them?  I'm figuring that if I can part it out and make it worth my time, I might do it.  Maybe keep the fuselage for the grandkids to play with.  The hour meter says 400 something, but it must have been a long time since the last flight.  Engine turned over with decent compression on 3 cylinders, with a bit of a hiss out the exhaust pipe on one cylinder.  Anyway, have a laugh if you like.  I think the picture looks a good bit better than the real thing.....JImChuk

PS  looks like I have to reset the date on the camera... :-)

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I talked to them before, I have a 2400cc hummel  and was gonna put there heads on it, I would say they are the best of the best, think that is what Aerovee is now using for there turbo heads, No matter what it is still only a 800 to a 1000 dollar engine,

Posted (edited)

Dang-it Jim, I worked so hard to get a nose gear made, and now you have two of them that you don't even use!  Hope the kids have fun flying it... Never heard of that engine, but I lead a sheltered life!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Run away.  Far away.

Posted

I talked to them before, I have a 2400cc hummel  and was gonna put there heads on it, I would say they are the best of the best, think that is what Aerovee is now using for there turbo heads, No matter what it is still only a 800 to a 1000 dollar engine,

I'll let you have it for $900, we'll split the difference!   ;-)  Thanks for the info.  I asked on the hombuilder's site about it also.  And Larry, I thought you would be a bit more supportive, it has a black propeller, just like your's.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Make a wind T - Paint it Patriotic and put the CG on a solid pivot, so the kids can lean back to climb and lean forward to dive - They would love it.   Cheaper than building pedal planes!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

But would it have the bearing additions/upgrades to allow it to be suitable for prop use?

Posted

i think i would fix her up and fly it Jim, everybody here knows you got what it takes.

1 person likes this

Posted

i think i would fix her up and fly it Jim, everybody here knows you got what it takes.

Everybody but me!. But then I'm the only one here who has seen it close up.  (although, maybe Larry did)  As far as the upgrades for using a prop, I think it does have those.   Hour meter has over 400 hrs on it and the engine looks like it's been used quite a bit.  Looking at MOFOCO's video on youtube, it seems they don't just take a VW engine and remake it.  Looks like it's been built by them completely.  The crankcase has their name cast into it even.  JImChuk

PICT0025.jpg

Posted (edited)

I agree with Larry . . . . run far, far away!

Edited by RobS
1 person likes this

Posted

Don't we have a member who flies a Teeny Too?  Does that use a full VW or 1/2?  Where are you Lostman?   EDMO

Posted

I hear the KR's are a blast to fly, very fast and very responsive on the controls some say all you have to do is think about turning and the plane turns,

Posted

I hear the KR's are a blast to fly, very fast and very responsive on the controls some say all you have to do is think about turning and the plane turns,

There is a KR2 project now on ebay with in-line 4 cyl engine and the bid is about 1500  EDMO

Posted

Mofoco is a drag/street car VW engine builder. Their engines are regarded as well built in the car community. This is actually the first time I've ever heard of one being flown.

There really isn't much you have to do to a VW engine for it to fly though. If I remember correctly there is one extra hole to drill in the case and enlarging one hole in a bearing, plus the #3 bearing moves to the #4 journal or something like that.

My Teenie Two does fly with a full 1600 VW with a single mag. I've flown it for more than 250 trouble free hours. Just adjust valves, chance the oil and check timing, plus the normal replace spark plugs every 100 hours or so. Not much to it. I do a lot of MX on my plane, but that's just due to my record of losing engines.

The KR is a nice flying machine, not as squirrely as you've been lead to believe though. It is small pressures instead of movements but I've flown several aircraft that are more sensitive to control inputs, including my Teenie Two. 

I have to say that's an ugly duckling, but that doesn't mean it won't fly nicely. The KR1 is supposed to be fairly fast and enjoyable to fly. I think it's the fact that it is a strange gear configuration and most KR's are typically tailwheel aircraft. The grove type gear doesn't help the looks out either.

I have to disagree with running away from the project. The VW is a great engine to fly behind. It's fairly quiet, reliable and doesn't burn much fuel either. It's not good on STOL type aircraft unless it has a redrive but it does well on faster more sleek aircraft than the Avid/Kitfox type. Like most engines it has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's fairly heavy for it's output but the 4 stroke reliability is really nice.

Just my  two cents worth (less).

1 person likes this

Posted

Well because everyone (except my wife) needs a reason for a laugh, I'm posting these pictures.  I did crank it over a bit after I got it home, it does make spark.   Also, the hiss from the one exhaust while under compression went away after it was cranked a few times.  Guess it doesn't have a burnt exhaust valve after all.  :-)  It's to far gone to think about flying it, although maybe someone could strip off the fiberglass down to the wood and redo it.  Looks like it was built with sitka spruce.  It has hydrolic  heel brakes, and aircraft wheels.  Anyway, it'll be fun, and maybe I'll make a big wind sock out of the stripped down body.  ;-)  JImChuk

Photo0963.jpg

Photo0955.jpg

Photo0958.jpg

Posted (edited)

If an engine has been sitting for a long time I usually squirt some oil into the cylinders before moving the crank - but you knew that....yeh, it wouldn't stop a valve leak.

AS LONG AS the kids get to fly your wind Tee, it will be a worthwhile project.   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It runs!  film at 11:00  :-)   :-)  40 lbs oil pressure at 1500 rpm even.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice!

Posted (edited)

Ok, so it's a bit past 11:00, but here is the film.  I think I have a leak on the intake manifold to the left side cylinders.  I'll work on that tomorrow.  Anyway, it runs!  And it will only get better!  ;-)  The fuel tank wasn't hooked up, so I put that small tank up in the air to get fuel into the engine.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Sad that she was left to die. The airplane gods are smiling on you right now!

Posted

Hopefully when all is said and done, she will be an organ doner to other dreams of flight!  Perhaps her loss will not be in vain! JImChuk

Posted

hope you paint her remains a bright red or safety orange, so you can see her in the snow.   You are going to make her pedestal about 6 feet high?  ;<)  EDMO

Posted

Well the grand kids came over with their dad today, and we "flew" the new plane.  The boys had a bunch of fun! (all of them) I think it was worth it bringing this thing home.   Pulled it with the 4 wheeler.  They liked that to.   JImChuk

Photo0982.jpg

Photo0988.jpg

Photo0994.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looks like you got your money's worth!   Maybe today was just a rehersal for days to come?  Good future Pilot training.  Precious memories in photos too.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ya, I think they will have lots of fun with it.  And if the engine disappears, and the aircraft wheels go away and are replaced by wheel barrow tires, I think they will like it just as much.  And then I will like it more as well. ;-)  JImChuk