A Year of Avid Flying, or flying avidly

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's been a year since I bought my Avid and learned to fly it, and what a fine year it has been. Some of the highlights

I met and learned from Joey Myers. He shared his hangar in Rio Vista, and that was a real highlight!

I learned to fly a taildragger (or at least I learned how to not quite ground loop it)

I flew across our great country, over the Rockies

I fly from a small airport in Connecticut with a nice hangar, no tower and great neighbors

I love the little Avid scooter, it is like a friend now, and when I am up in the air, my grin almost hurts.

I find myself thinking about flying it at odd times, the way I used to think about fishing or baseball!

My annual cost less than $200

I often get 3 landings in, and it takes about 20 minutes of flight time and 1 1/2 gallons of car gas. And if two of them are pretty, I am set for the week.

I find AvidFoxFlyers to be a fine place to learn things from folks who have been there already

Thanks Guys!

Nick

10464135_10204563455029127_5763431062302523665_n.jpg

11400975_10204519655774173_6363316877809051626_n.jpg

11037212_10204563456509164_8138003380637130695_n (1).jpg

11105160_10204563454869123_4154955808264124667_n.jpg

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Glad you're having fun with the Avid.  My wife's brother and sister live in Hartford Ct.  It's possible we will visit them this summer, maybe I'll look you up then if we do.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to hear the love affair is alive and well. Did I read sometime during this past year that you had some issue(s) to deal with, or has it been all smooth sailing? I must say, when I read about your big x-country adventure flight home I didn't know whether to be jealous or hold my breath!

Posted

Nick,  I think we were all impressed (amazed?) with your long successful XC in a different kind of new bird.  Lots easier than those noisy, vibrating, gigantic beasts you were used to test flying!  Good Flying and Happy Landings,   EDMO

Posted

It is always great to see that Avid Flyer pilots travel with their planes. I'm impressed by your coast to coast trip and, without any other comparison than the route, the illustration reminded my about the "Powder Puff Derby of 1929: The True Story of the First Women's Cross–Country Air Race" , a book I just received. 
Tell us more about your coast to coast flight... How long did it take, how many stops, ....?

Regards

Fred

Posted

Way cool to read stories like this.  I still have a love affair with my Avid.  Pure clean seat of the pants flying fun.  Glad your still happy with your plane Mr!

:BC:

Posted

Excellent, thanks Nick. The link works fine!

Posted

Thanks for sharing the link Nick. I've often wondered if you published a blog or something about the trip. I'll spent some time reading it now.