Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Static Port Location

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Mine just gets static from the cockpit.  If I was building a new one I would get the static from out on the wing with a double pitot tube set up. 

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I (currently) use the cabin for the static source. Opening and closing the round pop out vents that I have on the doors makes about a 5 mph change in indicated air speed (IIRC).

I like the idea of cutting an inspection port in the bottom for access as outlined in the directions that were attached.

Edited by Geoffrey Thorpe

Posted

yes, with the cabin static you get some changes if the doors are open etc, but don't most of us fly with some sort of GPS device to give us a ground speed?  When in critical flight ops (take off and landing) my ass is the ASI.  I feel the speeds in the stick pressure, in the visual picture I have through the windscreen and the sound of the engine.  I never look at the ASI when flying low and slow, its all by feel of the plane.  For me, it works no matter what plane I am flying.  Doing an IFR approach with a full panel is one thing, but I don't plan on doing too many of them in the Avid. 

Yes the static in the tail (one on each side so your not influenced by slips etc) seems to be the best placement as determined by skystar.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with Leni on this.   My Ercoupe and a couple of other planes would indicate 5 mph increase in cruise speed if I opened the windows.  Other than checking my ASI a couple of times when in the pattern, I am more concerned with how the plane is flying, what the wind is doing, not letting the engine load up, and being ready for variations on final and flare.   One airport had hangers on the windy side of the runway, and then a gap before more hangers, and I could almost guarantee that there would be a strong crosswind coming when I went thru that area - from final to touchdown, it's all seat-of-the-pants...

EDMO

Posted

I've got mine in the spot SkyStar indicated.  It works fine with no fluctuations in airspeed.

Posted

I forget who posted photos, but one of our flyers put his static ports on each side between the firewall and door front - (boot cowl?).  Guess they worked OK?  EDMO