KF-3 in the Bay Area

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I would love to pick this up, at about 1/2 his asking price.  Looks like it has Grove gear and wing tanks.  Not sure about purple.

https://merced.craigslist.org/for/5312060004.html

Edited by nemesisnxt

Posted

I was looking at that one this morning too.  It's sad really, the seller had hopes and dreams and the son probably doesn't know anything about the airplane.  When they sit around for long periods like that you have to start by tearing them apart.  For the right buyer $12K-$15K might work.  I want something the guy flew yesterday. 

Posted

THIS IS A WINNING GAME FOR KIT MAKERS, AND A LOSING GAME FOR BUILDERS!

You spend $20K for a kit, put in another $10K in money and work, and your bird is worth $15K - Sort of like buying a new car and watching the price go down!  Glad I'm not in the game for making money...

EDMo

Posted (edited)

You spend $20K for a kit, put in another $10K in money and work, and your bird is worth $15K - Sort of like buying a new car and watching the price go down!  Glad I'm not in the game for making money...

EDMo

I agree to some degree, but, if you finish it and it's a popular airplane you'll come out ok.  I think.  I'm certainly not prepared to argue the point because all we see are asking prices on Barnstormers.  It just seems that if an airplane is in good shape, has it's phase one flown off, comes with a current condition inspection and current time on the clock it's just less of a gamble for the buyer.  Even so, this airplane is not being marketed very well.  i could do purple probably.  

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted (edited)

EDMo

I agree to some degree, but, if you finish it and it's a popular airplane you'll come out ok.  I think.  I'm certainly not prepared to argue the point because all we see are asking prices on Barnstormers.  It just seems that if an airplane is in good shape, has it's phase one flown off, comes with a current condition inspection and current time on the clock it's just less of a gamble for the buyer.  Even so, this airplane is not being marketed very well.  i could do purple probably.  

I could learn to like purple with black trim - don't match anything in nature for Search and Rescue - This seller has to realize the market value is less for an idle bird than a current flyer.  I know where there was an Airdale that had one hour on it that maybe has been sitting for 20 years because the builder wanted $35K for it...It wasn't worth that much new, and worth a lot less now.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

EDMo

That is kind of the nature of the beast. Might be worth 17K if it was another color and airworthy. ;)

Posted

I wouldn't sell it any less than 17000, it costs a lot of money to build these things.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't sell it any less than 17000, it costs a lot of money to build these things.

I know it does, but you'd probably be sitting on it for long time.  And that's fine if its worth it to you.  Like a buddy of mine who is in financial trouble is trying to sell a cherried out street chopper.  He has nearly $20k in it, and can't sell it for $8k.  It cost him a lot, but its customized to his liking and the market simply won't bare it.  So instead of lowering the price and paying off his outrageous debts, he pulled it off the markemarket and said "well I'm not going to give it away"!  And his financial crisis continues...

It might sound sinister, but I'm thankful for people that pay retail for new crap then turns around and sells it at half their cost, only way I can afford my dirt bike, truck, and eventual airplane. Tightwad, and darn proud of it (squeak squeak squeak)!

-Joshua

Edited by nemesisnxt
3 people like this

Posted

I wouldn't either. But it really to me, depends on the build and condition. I bought mine cheap enough that if it turned out to be a complete POS, I could at least sell the engine, prop, brakes, etc and recover some of my money if not break even. I was lucky all I had to do was replace all the hoses and fluid, carb kits, reseal the brake components, etc. I have about 12K in it now with the bush gear. With shiny paint, and a complete history, build log, etc, etc, I wouldn't expect to get over 17 for mine.

Posted

It might sound sinister, but I'm thankful for people that pay retail for new crap then turns around and sells it at half their cost, only way I can afford my dirt bike, truck, and eventual airplane. Tightwad, and darn proud of it (squeak squeak squeak)!

-Joshua

LOL!!!! ME TOO!!! I'm in my early 50's and have only had one new car. And that was over 25 yrs ago when I was dumb! ;)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

-Joshua

LOL!!!! ME TOO!!! I'm in my early 50's and have only had one new car. And that was over 25 yrs ago when I was dumb! ;)

I cant win for losing, my 54 Chevy convertible was $2500 new - Got it totaled in 64, and insurance paid $500.  My 57 Chevy was $2500 new and worth $700 when sold - Try to buy one for that now!  Ha!  My widow will sell my planes cheap!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

More info:

http://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_results.aspx?NNumbertxt=2087X

Darn thing weighs 625lbs empty!  Kitfox's website claims an average empty of 460lbs.  I understand the grove gear, wheel pants, and wing tanks add weight but 165lbs worth?  Is Kitfox lying about this average 460lbs empty, or is this thing just an overweight pig?  Or is it a little of both?  

I thought a day VFR, 912 powered model 3 was more like 550lbs empty.  This thing has a 582!  Am I way off on my assumptions?

-Joshua

Posted

I think the manufactures numbers are pipe dreams at best.  When my buddy rebuilt his mod I he went light weight and minimal with everything.  It still came in at 530 is pounds.  My Mod C is 572 pounds with a 582 and big tires.. I would bet the 625 is pretty accurate.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

As a comparison, my model IV-1050 with grove and a 912 weighs in at #650.  It is by no means a heavy built plane, either...

I'm hoping the Mangy will be less than 700.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, I think we've just narrowed my perfect model to the IV-1200, and not the 3.   Thanks for the input gents.

-Joshua

Posted

Yeah, I think so Joshua.  The wing and control improvements in the IV make it a pretty nice airplane.  Or so I've heard.  Somebody pointed out to me that there is a IV Classic on Barnstormers right now for $28K asking.  It sure looks nice and it's fly away.  There's always another deal around the corner.   

Posted (edited)

My Model III came in at 566 lbs. Pretty darn close to the factory call out spec of 560 for the 582.  The website number of 460 is way off the mark for some reason.  Might be a typo with a 4 vs 5.

Edited by LSaupe