Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gas on Lexan

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I have spilled gas on my sl and ws for years and have never damaged my Lexan. Has anybody had any trouble doing this? Everybody says it will destroy it, but I have never had any problems.

Posted

I think it's worse if it can get to the edge of the sheet. On the flat surface it probably gets wiped off quick. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

There may be a difference between getting it on Lexan and on Plexiglass?  And, maybe how fast you wipe?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I get one drop on the lexan and it turns white and shatters.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

My Kitfox has the nose tank with the filler neck right in front of the windshield.  I use a Mr. Funnel and there are always tiny droplets splashing out.  I just wiped them off and had no problems for about 8 years.  Last year those tiny droplets started leaving spots that would not clean off with any method I tried.  then a larger drop hit right near the bottom of the windshield and it instantly cracked about 2 or 3 inches long.

I have heard that Lexan is multi layered and gasoline evaporates fast which cools the outer layer/layers quickly causing it to crack.

Now here's a good one for you.  A fellow here was sumping his gascolator with a clear plastic fuel tester he had used for years with both auto gas and avgas.  As quickly as the fuel flowed into the tester it turned white and cracked all to pieces.  Everyone is still scratching their heads about that one.  He fills his gas cans with alcohol free gas at the same station I fill mine.  I hav't had any problem with my fuel tester.

Edited by tcj

Posted

I get one drop on the lexan and it turns white and shatters.

Mogas or 100LL?  100LL shouldn't, but Mogas you never know what is in that Sh*t.  It may not have alcohol, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else worse in it.

Mark

Posted

Yup, been there done that! 

I spilled ethanol free premium auto gas on the Poly Carb skylight and crazed every place it touched. 

Some dribbled onto the door and where there was a bit of stress in the curve of the plastic and it severely cracked and broke chunks out. 

Had to replace both the skylight and the door Poly Carb coverings.  I'm not sure if just raw gasoline would do that but with all the additives now blended in auto fuel it sure does mess up the plastic.  I think the winter blend of fuel is worse than the summer blend but I have not actually tested it to find out.

That is one of the reasons I built my electric fuel pump set-up so I would not be pouring fuel all over everything again, maybe, I hope.

MarkD

Posted

I only use pump gas unless I am in a place that 100ll is the only thing available.  I got one drop of blue locktite on the lexan when I was putting in the door pulls on my brand new, just installed lexan doors.  Within seconds after wiping it it was white and crazed.  Good news is I have replaced the doors so many times I can whip them out in about and hour start to finish :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't get it. I spill gas all the time and never had any problems. Just fatigue cracks at the bends.

Posted

Something not everyone knows: every local has their own flavor or blend of shit that gets put into autogas. I've had this argument before with people concerning fiberglass fuel tanks too. Some dissolves the tank like a hot knife through butter. Some run it for years without issue.

Mark, the gas is your area may be totally different than what Leni or Ed or even I pump at the station.

Gas would be less than a dollar a gallon of everyone could use the same blend across the country. But the ecco-nazi democrats will never hear of something that makes sense.

1 person likes this

Posted

My last aircraft would fill to the top without warning and spew fuell all over the lexan windscreen. I used 100 LL and never had a problem with it ruining the lexan, so it probably is the different blends of mogas...