Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TAILWIND - bargain of the year

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

6 More days to bid or buy this NEW Wittman TAILWIND in Ebay Aviation Parts, just listed.

- Ready to cover with new engine and everything!  Needs Larger Lexan in doors IMO.

Bid starting at $4500 - If I could get a medical, I would be right there to get it...

This COULD be the other bargain of the year if you like speed, instead of water wings...

# 151 757 662 888    This is not a "Bush" plane with that landing gear, but it will get between places fast.

EdMO

post-399-0-45644300-1437872508.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Didn't find it Ed, what is the item # (just curious) Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Luke,

It has flaps - Or, it is supposed to have them.

I am copying the controls for flaps and ailerons on my Foxy.  Uses aileron tube inside of flaps tube.

Steve, the guy who owns Whirlwind props had photos of his immaculent Tailwind in the mags a while back.   It is fast and economical to fly.  Probably would cost $60K or more for finished one - sort of scarce.

The Wittman Buttercup may not have had flaps - I don't know...I think someone is bringing it back to sell as a kit.

Ed 

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yeah, I've been a fan of the tailwind since the first time I saw one back in the early 90s. The one on ebay looks like the wing is solid where the flaps go though.

Posted

Luke,

Looks like flaps to me - other photo shows different color in that area - should have them if built to plans.

EdMO

Posted

I guess I can't see it from their pictures. Your probably right. Can't imagine a tailwind with no flaps. I think their tube inside a tube system is pretty cool by the way. reminds me of the Grummans.

Posted (edited)

Not too many "new" ideas for planes - not even the canards - maybe plastic and fiberglass and LED lights?

The Germans used the tube/tube flap and aileron setup during WW2, and maybe before.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm voting no flaps on this ebay example

Posted (edited)

Just to settle this, I wrote to the seller asking if it had flaps - Will post his answer.

If I didn't have the Soob engine for the Foxy, I would buy this for the new engine and sell the rest.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I vote no Flaps also, Boy I cant imagine slowing that thing up on final with out flaps.

Posted (edited)

TJay,

That's when you get real good at doing slips!

I wonder how heavy that new Franklin engine is?

EdMO

Well, you guys were right - NO FLAPS on this one.

Edited by Ed In Missouri