Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Counter balance weights

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody have tips and or experience installing the counter balance weights, as far as trimming them where to mount them and how to balance them correctly thanks.

Posted

They should be ready to rivet on.  Do you have the manual for the plane?  I know what the Avid manual says, but your doing a KF so im not sure how much the avid manual will help.  I bet Ed has the section of the book he can scan and post here :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Ha I bet he does, My manual doesn't say anything about them.

Posted

I bet Ed has the section of the book he can scan and post here :lol:

:BC:

...or Doug. :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

post-399-0-23240400-1428629830_thumb.jpgTJay,

Cold Front and storms just cleared here at 8:30 Pm, so just turned puter on - I will find and scan what you need for the weight mountings - I know that they are not at the same location on each wing, so they will clear when you fold wings.

EDMO

Ok - Here is the only page I have in this KF1 manual.

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

When the Kitfox 1 was built, it was almost a direct copy of the Avid. I'm sure you could put the flaperons from your plane on an Avid and no one could tell the difference. I'll look in my Avid manual and tell you what it says also. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I didn't see the hook on the front of TJay's weights. like Kitfox shows, and Doug posted with his Avid weights :huh:

EDMO

Spirit of St.Louis airport got buildings roofs damaged, trees, powerlines down tonight - 72 mph winds - STL Lambert got 60mph.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I don't know if this will be any easier to read...

post-53-0-32307300-1428636356_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the help Doug - But if you left-click on what I posted it comes up very clear - I think, just like yours.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed - was viewing and posting from my phone. Sometimes not so easy to see the small print without my cheaters.

TJay - here are the pages from the Avid Mk-IV manual showing the Avid counterweight installation and balance.

post-53-0-40175600-1428639749_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-03984500-1428639844_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-47725300-1428639895_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-57095600-1428639944_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Doug for posting the Avid info. It slipped my mind cause I got involved in something else. Another problem was that I have my Avid manual that is usually in the book case next to the PC in the garage where I'm working on the Avid rebuild. Got a couple more manuals in the basement, I should put one in the book case so it's handy. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Good Avid post Doug,

I looked at my Avid Magnum manual and it only had about 2 sentences which really gave no useful information.

TJay,

I would sure think about rounding those points instead of leaving them sharp!

I believe that putting the weights near the center of the flaperon makes better sense than putting them at the end like Kitfox.

I think that some builders have put a steel tube in the inside front lengthwise of the flaperons, in place of the counterweights, and this makes even more sense to me - I intend to do that to my ailerons, and add lead shot and epoxy inside the tube if I need more weight.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

The Kitfox Model 1...at least the first ones...did not come with mass balance weights.  Here's the service bulletin about it.  The one on line does not open correctly...so I can read it anyhow.

Service Bulletin 03.doc

Edited by tcj