Starting my kitfox 1 build pictures here

218 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks Good TJay - easy to spot in the sky or in the snow.   EDMO

Posted

And time to start over

painted Fus 001.JPG

Posted

Wow!  looking good.  I see you have a prop there as well.  Is it for the Jabiru?   Jim Chuk

Posted

No that's a 60/44 Tennessee It was the take off from my challenger when I switched it to warp. It needs to get hung on the wall but you know how it works, I did love that prop it out performed the Warp in all areas

Posted

What paint did you use on the fuselage? I like the black, very clean looking.

Posted

What paint did you use on the fuselage? I like the black, very clean looking.

This is the stuff that I used, I chose it because I painted the bucket on our 257B Cat last spring, we put about 30hrs on it this past summer moving dirt and lots of sand and the paint still looks great in the bucket, this stuff is tough.

paint 001.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Finally got a few more parts painted, So I can start to reassemble,

Parts 001.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice work.  Very sharp!

Posted

Got most of the controls back in and finished welding up the rudder pedals, wrapped a strap under the torque tubes and welded a strap on the back side of the rudder cable attach,  Haven't decided what I will do with the brake pedals yet that's why there not finished.

controls in 003.JPG

controls in 005.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

got a little bit done over the weekend, Figured out where my rudder cables will exit the fabric, installed my header tank, and tonight I mocked up my baggage compartment, think I am ready to take it out and sew it up.

bagage 002.JPG

bagage 034.JPG

bagage 051.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Even painted the header tank!? That's something I've never seen. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That will be a huge baggage compartment.  I'm wondering how you plan to get the stuff out of it?  When I first looked at the pics, I envisioned a second extended turtle deck that is hinged at the front end so as to have access to the compartment.  Would probably have to weld in a few pieces of steel for female cam lock ends like on the back end of the regular turtle deck.  Jim Chuk

Posted

That will be a huge baggage compartment.  I'm wondering how you plan to get the stuff out of it?  When I first looked at the pics, I envisioned a second extended turtle deck that is hinged at the front end so as to have access to the compartment.  Would probably have to weld in a few pieces of steel for female cam lock ends like on the back end of the regular turtle deck.  Jim Chuk

Nah just through the opening under the turtle deck, it is set up to hold a small chair and my tent ha an maybe a 12 pack. I would guess 20 lbs,

Posted

Even painted the header tank!? That's something I've never seen. 

I have to get in there with a small paint brush and get those Adel clamps sometime, There driving me nuts looking at them. Also epoxied and riveted in my flaperon Bearings, need to paint that epoxy too.

Posted

Not trying to tell you what to do, just thinking out loud. :-)  I'm looking at the middle picture of your last set of posted pictures.  Looking down on the top of the baggage compartment.  A flip up "trunk" lid hinged right behind the turtle deck would make access much easier.  Pulling off the turtle deck is a little bit of a pain, especially if you have an antenna mounted in it like my MK IV has.  This is also how airplanes get heavier and heavier though.  Lots of good ideas, and they all add weight.  Jim Chuk

Posted

My buddies kitfox has a hinged lid so you can get to the baggage area real easy.. its a great spot for rain water to get in and fill the fuse as well.  I am not too keen on having a hinge line on the turtle deck unless you plan on hangaring your plane.  Just my .02... and thats not even enough to put a down payment on a pack of gum :lol:

I think you will be surprised at how much weight you can get in that cargo area.. I have routinely put in.. umm.. A LOT.  If you can still lift the tail by the handles your good to go, just be ready to hold a little forward stick if you dont have a trim system :lmao:

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Hey Leni, your right about water getting into the hinge area.  I thought about having a piece of flexable rubber that would go under the turtle deck, and over the hinge.  That would allow it to shed  water I would think.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought about doing that was well.  The hinge is nice, but you do need to do something about water intrusion.  Something about taking off on floats and as soon as you break water and pull the nose up you have about 15 gallons of water run into the tail... does not make for a good flight.  My buddy almost quit flying because that one scared him so bad.

:BC:

Posted

Had a good Saturday here.

Fus Covering 001.JPG

Fus Covering 002.JPG

Fus Covering 003.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Leni, your right about water getting into the hinge area.  I thought about having a piece of flexable rubber that would go under the turtle deck, and over the hinge.  That would allow it to shed  water I would think.  Jim Chuk

One word.  Duct Tape.  :blink:

Posted

One word.  Duct Tape.  :blink:

Ha I have a Jabiru, that means I need the 200mph Duct tape.

1 person likes this

Posted

Anyone know where I can buy stainless tape, and how thick it is?    EDMO

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim - I was looking for some about .015" thick.  I may have to glue some aluminum on my tubes for shims.    I will keep looking.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Tail is covered

covered tail 003.JPG

1 person likes this