Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

trailing edge of flaperon

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Do any of you know what I need to do with the trailing edge of my flaperon on my kitfox 1, does it need to be riveted  together or let the glue be enough. If I do need to rivet it together and you have a picture please post it so I can see how they are laid out thanks.

Posted

Just checked my barn Avid and it has rivets every 3 inches.

post-40-0-73294900-1423443031_thumb.jpg

Posted

Sure there right in that little flat spot on the trailing edge aren't they, that's what I thought, are they pop rivets or nice little squeezed rivets and thanks for the response. Here is the beast.

post-999-0-68793500-1423443650_thumb.jpg

Posted

either works, I've seen both and squeeze rivets look nicer also a little cleaner thats what we used on our build

Posted

Definitely rivet! The original builder on my Avid did not rivet. They did last for a long time but the right flaperon separated on me a little over a year ago. I noticed slightly strange handling in the air, then on the ground I found a small separation of the trailing edge. I came back a day later to repair it and about 2 ft of the flaperon had separated with a gap large enough to stick my hand into. Glad that didn't happen in the air! It took me quite a bit of work to get it back together and straight again. I used squeezed rivets as they do not have the big tail that a pop rivet has.

Dan

Posted

use squeezed rivets.  The pop rivets would be sweet little scalp slicers when you least expect it.

The bird is looking good, your really kicking some ass on it!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Starting to rebuild.Took apart the really bent flaperon. Is there a source for the styrofoam ribs and leading edge. Setting up a hot wire and cutting them with a template sounds like a lot of fooling around. Thanks.

Edited by IFMT

Posted

a band saw and sanding block would make them in short order.  Make a plywood template then cut them out and a quick final sanding and you should be good to go in an hour or so.

Posted

I dont have a rivet squeezer any body know of a good affordable one to buy, or any tricks of turning any other tools into one.

Posted (edited)

TJay,

You may be able to squeeze aluminum rivets with a modified pair of Vicegrip pliers.

If you decide to use pop rivets, use the shortest one possible, and install them with the tails to the top of the flaperon, and file the broken sharp end of the stem on bottom slightly.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

thats what I was thinking I bet I could grind and file an old vicegrips to make a nice squeeze, what do you think for size on rivets, smallest and shortest I can find.

Posted

Actuality I think I may have them, Just went and looked through my hardware kits and found a package that says Driven Rivets An426-3-4 I have 66 of them I bet that is what there for.

Posted

When John Stoner was building the ribs for dakota cub he modified a few pair of vice grips to get into some tight corners.  He ground the teeth off both sides of the jaws, then drilled one side just enough to capture the head of the rivet.  It takes a couple practice rivets to get the vice grips set just perfect for each size your squeezing to get the set perfect.  He also put a jamb nut on the vice grip "lead screw" so once set for that length rivet, he could lock the nut down and squeeze away and never loose the setting when you flip it open. 

1 person likes this

Posted

If you have a block of steel and a small ball pene hammer, that works, too.

You can also squeeze them with a small "c" clamp.

Posted

Flaperon spar. I assume the spar material is 6061 T6. Canʼt find numbers on my orignal.Thanks.

Posted

a band saw and sanding block would make them in short order.  Make a plywood template then cut them out and a quick final sanding and you should be good to go in an hour or so.

This is basically how I made the replacements for my damaged ribs when repairing my flaperon. It worked very well. I used Dow Blue insulation foam from the hardware store which funny enough is the same exact thing I received from Aircraft Spruce when I ordered Styrofoam from them.

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

Bet there was a difference in the price!  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this