Ready to Hysol the first wing

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Got the rib doublers glued in and drag tubes glued and riveted, wings leveled and squared in all directions set to 1 degree twist, is there anything I can mix with the hysol so it stays in place better, or do I got to just keep fingering her out as it sets.

post-999-0-77567400-1420142556_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-25500000-1420142586_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-87628500-1420142610_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

TJay,

Mix cotton flox with the Hysol - It keeps it from thinning as the mix gets warm - cant give you an exact measure - I think I use a big clean craftstick (tongue depressor) about 1/2 loaded with flox for every 20 grams of 9460 I mix - You may think you have added too much flox when you first start stirring it in, but keep stirring and it will blend in and the mix will be a lot stiffer than without it.

Spruce sells you a big bag of the flox for about the same price as Kitfox only sends you a sample. I still have a lot left after building 4 wings - Just keep running out olf 9460, and that costs $.

I use a separate large craftstick in each can, then stick them together to do the stirring.

I think the mix for the strut attach fittings uses micro-ballons/glass balls instead of flox. Check the manual. Oh, you may have the early manual which calls for 2216 or something different than the Hysol 9460 we use now?

I buy my craftsticks in the crafts section at Walmart - big bag of them - and I get both the large and small sizes - the large for stirring and applying, and the small for doing the fillet smoothing and small spots.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Use wax paper,you will be amazed the outcome!!!

Posted (edited)

How are you using the wax paper? After the glue has had time to partly set up, you can wet your finger and do some more smoothing - just make sure you clean your nails before it becomes permanent!

sometimes, you can put blue painters tape over a place where you want the glue to be smooth, and rub the tape so that the glue under it is smooth - then when the glue sets, you can peal the tape off - Don't try this with Gorilla tape! Ha!

EdmO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

first time using hysol, I thought to my self, this has got to be JB weld just labeled different

Posted

If you don't have an accurate electronic scale, Harbor Freight has a good one that I have been using for a long time for about $25.

EDMO

Posted

For easiest application of the Hysol put it into a small ziploc bag and squeeze it all to one corner than just cut off the tip of the bag and apply it where needed like decorating a cake. than put some iso propyl alcohol on your finger and smoothen it all out. works great.

Posted

Maybe I am just getting too old and slow, but I don't mix over about 100 grams at a time, or I run out of time, especially in hot weather!

I save all the little butter and yogurt cups that the wife uses - cheaper than buying the plastic ones.

EdMO

Posted

My first two wings was with the old 3M stuff.  The third one was with Hysol.  The Hysol is MUCH easier to work with.

Mix a little flox like suggested above and it won't sag like the 3M did.  I cut the bottom inch off gallon milk jugs to use as mixing trays.  Use one to mix up what I needed then throw it away when done.  Hysol is mixed one to one by volume.  I just eye balled it in two lumps side by side in the mixing tray.

I second the zip lock bags used like a cake decorator.  Use a a short piece of PVC pipe like a rolling pin to roll it all into the corner of the bag and you can use every bit of it.  No waste. A gloved finger dipped in alcohol smooths it so I looks just like the factory quick built wings.

Posted

I don't recommend using wax paper with any epoxy.  Any wax the comes off will weaken the bond between the epoxy and what you are attaching.

Mark

Posted

My first two wings was with the old 3M stuff.  The third one was with Hysol.  The Hysol is MUCH easier to work with.

Mix a little flox like suggested above and it won't sag like the 3M did.  I cut the bottom inch off gallon milk jugs to use as mixing trays.  Use one to mix up what I needed then throw it away when done.  Hysol is mixed one to one by volume.  I just eye balled it in two lumps side by side in the mixing tray.

I second the zip lock bags used like a cake decorator.  Use a a short piece of PVC pipe like a rolling pin to roll it all into the corner of the bag and you can use every bit of it.  No waste. A gloved finger dipped in alcohol smooths it so I looks just like the factory quick built wings.

I believe 9460 is supposed to be mixed 1:1 by weight - The black part is heavier than the white part, so equal size lumps does not mean an equal mix. Guess it may work, but I feel better by weighing it on an electronic scale - never mixed a bad batch that way yet.

Alcohol? - I used water - maybe not as good, but you cant drink the stuff - Not about to waste my Bud Light on smoothing glue - The glue looks better after each can! :lol:

EdMO

Posted

The data sheet for Hysol 9460 says one to one by weight or volume.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I guess you could use a couple little cups or something to measure volume if you don't have a scale.

Edited by tcj

Posted

I've used plastic spoons, different one for each can, scrape them off level with a stir stick, then clean out spoon with a second spoon. Got some throwaway paper bowls for mixing. It worked for me. Jim Chuk

Posted

I use SEM products in my body shop. Many of the adhesives and seam sealers are in a 1 to 1 dual cartridge aplicator. When I was getting ready to build my wings, I saved a few of the empty dual cartidges. I pulled the plungers out and cleaned them out with reducer. I then filled each half with the two different parts of the hysol. I put the plungers back in, and I had a fully loaded dual cartridge of Hysol. The SEM dual cartridge goes into a caulk type gun. You screw a mixing tip onto the end of the dual cartidge and when you squeeze the handle it mixes the Hysol in the tip. I had a perfect bead of hysol from the despensor. It did a beautiful job for me. When you are finished gluing, you just leave the tip screwed on to the cartridge, then next time you want to do some more glueing you just unscrew the tip, scew a new one on and start gluing. Tips are about 1.50 each. It makes for some quick and clean gluing.