Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

KitFox 5 Down

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Odd in a way,  I think it's kind of rare for a Kitfox to burn.  Also, it looked like a pretty open area that would have been conducive for an emergency landing.  Not sure if there is a skid trail, or it was windy and burnt stuff got blown in one direction.   At any rate, sad to see it happen.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

damn, seems like an 0320 on a KF is kinda heavy for it.  Shedding a blade inflight could have knocked him out if there was plexiglass and cockpit contents 1/2 mile from the wreckage.  

Kinda like WAY too many cubs, the pilot could have survived the crash, but the fire afterwards gets them.  This one looks and sounds like a single point landing on the nose.

Sad to say the least.

Edited by akflyer

Posted

I thought the same thing Leni.  If he got knocked out with the prop blade, that would have been all she wrote.  But at the same time, the blade doesn't look like it hit anything very solid either.  Guess they will sort it out.  I don't think there is much worry with the NR props and 912 Rotaxes at least.  I flew behind mine today and all was good.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

One of the early reports said the engine departed the airframe.  This has proven out to be inaccurate.  Needless to say, loosing a blade will defiantly be a catastrophic situation...

I remember when my friend Dave (built Sputzee the Avid-Kitfox hybrid) was later building a J5 Cub with an O320 on the nose, his research told him that adjustable props and direct drive engines are not a good mix.  He went with a solid Catto on that build.

1 person likes this

Posted

One of the early reports said the engine departed the airframe.  This has proven out to be inaccurate.  Needless to say, loosing a blade will defiantly be a catastrophic situation...

I remember when my friend Dave (built Sputzee the Avid-Kitfox hybrid) was later building a J5 Cub with an O320 on the nose, his research told him that adjustable props and direct drive engines are not a good mix.  He went with a solid Catto on that build.

We have lots hours on lots of the Sensenich Ground Adjust props on many airframes and engine combos and have not had any issues.  I think there are issues when one takes a prop make for a rotax and puts it on a bigger engine that there are issues.  Look at the size of the hub and blade roots on the whirlwind or Sensenich for the lycoming or other legacy engines and you will see they are much beefier than the NR or others.  

I wouldn't give up mine for anything, it's truly that much better in take off. climb and cruise than the old Borer that was the benchmark and go to for MANY years.

1 person likes this