Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do I have the correct gear?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

So I am finally getting started on my Avid kit.  Someone already mentioned that it doesn't look like I have the correct front gear for a tailwheel setup.  The manual say that the gear for tailwheel is longer than that for a tricycle, but it does not say by how much.  What I have measures at 20".   I was likely going to use something besides the stock gear anyway.  Can anyone help with this first mystery?20231113_153748.thumb.jpg.bd4a9273aa5434

Posted

Jim will eventually respond and in all likely hood say it is a tricycle landing gear. when you first posted pictures of the project someone was pointing this out. 

Posted

You have tricycle gear in the TW position. Tailwheel gear has longer legs and is swept forward.

Posted

yep, it's a tricycle gear.  With your gear, you see the wheel is centered between the upper mounting points.  The taildragger gear has the wheel slightly ahead of the front attachment point.  Notice this picture.  JImChuk

Photo0258.jpg

Posted

OK.  I can see the forward sweep.  The difference is obvious when you see them side by side.   I was thinking about using a third party landing gear eventually but now I know not to do any work on these. 

Thanks!