Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New here just bought an Avid

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I have been lurking for a long time here and just took the plunge and bought an unfinished Avid mk IV kit.  I am driving to Virginia in a few weeks to pick it up.  The first step is going to be going through everything to see what is there, what is missing, what is broken, etc.

I will probably have many questions.  I beg your patience.

Resized_20230829_122328_20230829_123853.jpg

Posted

Welcome to the group.  And we welcome questions!  Pictures always are nice as well.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks.  I have been digging into this forum for a while and have already learned so much.  But it is all academic until I get this plane home and start working on it myself. 

Posted

Well welcome to the group. looking under the plane I see what look like motor mount or mounts, looks like more than one. Do you know off hand what engine they/it are for?

Posted

One is for a 582.  The other one I am not certain what it was purchased for.   It comes with an Arrow 500 engine that I am not sure if I am going to use.  It is new old stock, but there isn't much information out there about it.

Posted

Welcome! This is an incredibly helpful and knowledgeable group.

That looks like a nose wheel weldment in that fuselage. Worth it weight in gold IMHO. That means the plane can be easily converted between trike and TW configurations making it more saleable to a much broader audience.

One thing I notice is that the fuse appears to be sitting on trike gear positioned in the TW mounts. If you are planning to fly it as TW you will need the TW gear legs which are longer and swept forward.

But that and many other details are a long way from being important right now.

Congratulations on your new plane! Avids are awesome.

Posted

Good catch Chris on the trike gear in the tailwheel spot.  Sharp eyes.  JImChuk

Posted

I definitely want to set it up as a tailwheel. There is going to be some detective work when I get it home.  The current owner told me that the original owner had plans to remake the wings into speed wings and there are two sets of landing gear.  I'm sure that other mysteries will turn up.