Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Catalina with Hirth 2706

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I’ve been looking for a few months and found one I like. Biggest issue for me is the Hirth engine. Research indicates they are not well regarded in the industry. Wondering if there are any others with direct experience with them. The one I’m considering has under 50 hours TT with oil and fuel injection. Is 65 HP enough to get the aircraft safely off the water when loaded to near max payload? 

Posted

Hirth engines are pretty good. The big difference is that there is more info out there on Rotax and how to run them, than there is for the Hirth. Call Matt Dandar at recpower.com and talk to him.

Posted

OK that’s encouraging, thanks. I have sent an email to recpower for pricing.

Posted

Some guys have put 912 Rotax on them.  100 HP will really make them perform I would think.  JImChuk

Posted

Hirth is close to pricing themselves out of the market. They have went up a few thousand dollars in the last couple years.

Posted (edited)

Well, they just sent me a replacement price of $12K, after a $1K “discount”.
From research online it lists the  Rotax 100HP fuel injected 912iS at $26,800. Is the extra 35HP worth it?

Hirth: 

image003.png

Edited by arks

Posted

Every chance I get I advocate a close look at the Rotax 670. At 92 Hp, and a simple drop in on a 582 mount, and at about 20 lbs more than a 582, it is worth a close look. If you have a 582 to swap, Rotax Rick will send back a zero time 670 for about $5300, a flat out bargain when you look at 912's.

Posted

From what I am told, the 3203 (65) is a little overrated and the 3202 (55) is a little underrated on horsepower. The Gen 4 Jabiru 2200 (new) is also an option along with a couple more 4 strokes.

Posted

Several points.  I don't think the Jabiru would be a good match for such a draggy airplane.  I don't think you need the fuel injected 912, the straight 100 ULS should do just fine.  And there are lots of used ones on the market for $10,000 or maybe a bit less.  Talk to Hal Stockman, he is the 912 expert, and usually has something available.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

If you're sold on 4-stroke, why not try to source a used 912UL and zip it? Way cheaper than the ULS and you would get 105hp on 87oct auto gas. That, IMO, should make for a much better performing Cat.

See Larry's zip conversion: http://avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3726-zipper-installation-rotax-912ul/

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

OK, all good info, especially the zip conversion- I wasn’t aware of it. It’s great news that there are so many good options! The price I got from recpower was for a direct replacement for what is in the plane currently, which I’m told is operating just fine. Just wanted to get a baseline on what those engines are valued.
Looks like I may be taking a trip to see it soon. Thank you all for the info.

Edited by arks