Getting the film off of (old) flaperons?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm building a kitfox IV speedster from a 31 year old kit.  In those years, the plastic film covering the flaperons has become one with the metal.

Once upon a time I found a video where the poster had found a stripper that seemed to work given enough time, but I've been unable to find it again. Dug through this site, and another, no joy.

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks,  

Jack  Austin, TX

Posted (edited)

I tried a lot of things, being careful not to get any of the various chemicals into the hinge openings and maybe melting the foam.  One paint stripper worked kind of halfways.  It bubbled the plastic up somewhat so I could pick it off.  That was about 10 yrs ago, so memory is scetchy.  Did you look in the search box?  Also search TeamKitfox forum cause I'm sure this question has come up many times.  JImChuk

PS  here is a post from TK   Protective coating removal (teamkitfox.com)

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I thought I read somewhere that someone had good luck with oven cleaner.  (No promises)

Posted

Read a few internet reviews, and picked up:

Goof Off Pro Strength,  and 2 Minute Remover  (both top listed on the internet. so, of course..)     Neither of which did a darn thing.  First is a liquid, second a gel.  nada.

Also picked up a spray can (also comes as a liquid) of Klean Strip Premium Stripper..  And this works pretty well, softening and bubbling up, making it possible to remove with my custom lexan scraper.  I think I'll go with that- there is one thing.. they say let it sit for 15 minutes, and they also say best under 85 degrees.  If you let it sit more than 20 minutes when the temp is 105 in the hangar, you waited too long. You've both softened the film, AND the adhesive, and it sticks right back down under the bubble.. I'll hit it again earlier in the morning.

Thanks for the pointers.  I tried just about everything in the search boxes, but not protective coating.    Jack

1 person likes this

Posted

is it a peel-off coating? Have you tried heat? Just a thought.

Posted

I thought about a heat gun, but didn't want to impact the foam internals, if they were made like the avid flaperons.  Oddly, I've found that the spray can of Klean Strip Premium Stripper works much better than glopping on the liquid of the same brand, 2 coats vs 4. On the bright? side, I've just about whipped one flaperon, after 10 hours.  Popsicle sticks make good scrapers, my lexan scraper didn't hold up to the stripper very well, dulling quickly.  And, it's definatly something to avoid doing unless you tend towards ocd,  pulling off thin strips, slowly to avoid breaking, by thin strip. My film was "shattered" by the years. Every now and then I get lucky and get a big chunk. Finish with purple scotchbright and wd40 to get the last of the adhesive off.  I'll have to clean that off before priming. Temps inside the hangar hit 100 before noon, and using a fan for ventilation makes the stripper dry out too quickly, kinda like a convection oven.

Did go a lot better than getting the paper film off of the catalina lexan.  I guess they don't think about long duration issues when they slap those "protections" on.

Posted

Glad you found something that works. I did not mean a LOT of heat. Sometimes just bringing a film or decal up to a "hot to the touch" will allow it to peel where almost nothing else will. Boat decals and license plat tabs come to mind.