Nice full MIG Welds

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

How can I lay a MIG weld bead like this? Is this very thin filler (.025?) and an exceptionally low current setting?

01A1740A-CDAE-4AF2-A840-1350054EF96C_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Supermotive
added a picture

Posted

Practice Practice Practice.

Yes smaller filler wire will help

The weld at the bottom looks like its packed full of porosity Might just be the photo too.

Posted

that welder and gas combo should work great for that type welding. Can you just turn your heat down?

Posted

.025" wire 20-30 CFH on the flow.  Do you have a separate control for wire speed and voltage?  Welding the thin tubing just takes practice and a developed eye.  It gets especially fun when you start welding different thicknesses together. 

Posted

Pretty much everything TJay said. I think pure argon is going to make matters worse, C25 works well.  Use the .025 wire, your machine should have a chart with setting guidelines, I have found them to be pretty much spot on. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Find some material the same thickness as the tubing you intend to weld and set up various types of weld joints with it and start welding them up, once you have that mastered you will be ready to start practicing on the tubing.

EA53F914-0D2A-4E58-9E98-6FEB15B1664F.jpegSomething like this makes excellent practice. 

Edited by 72chevy