Heater, hot water

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Jim, here is what I'm using for my heater, the fan is really powerful.  The radiator is an aluminum heater core from Napa and under 20$. The part number is clearly visible in the picture.  Just built a FG shroud that fit over the core and mounted the fan over that.

Fan and fitting are from UPI

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Thanks Paul.  I wrote down the number of the heater core and I'll look into it.   The last fan I bought is supposed to move 360 cf per min, so that probably will do the trick.  In fact it may do it with the heater core I have now as well.  I'll check it out.  I wasn't able to get the fan number off your picture, it came out real small.  How cold of weather can you fly in with this set up and be warm?  JImChuk

Posted

Part # 30103013 for the fan that I have.  I usually don't fly much below 20F. I haven't made an effort to seal up the cabin and usually plan on wearing clothes to walk out.  It is pretty desolate out here not much for ranches or anyway to get out of the wind.

1 person likes this

Posted

I went flying this afternoon for a while.  It was about 28, and I was comfortable.  Had plenty of cloths on as well.  JImChuk

Posted

I went flying this afternoon for a while.  It was about 28, and I was comfortable.  Had plenty of cloths on as well.  JImChuk

got your 40 hrs flown off yet?

Posted

got your 40 hrs flown off yet?

Oh no, Not even 10 yet, but it was a flying plane before I got it so no 40 hr phase 1 hours.   I'm getting the feel for it, even gave some one a ride in it today.  Hadn't planned to, but I was flying the Kitfox, my flying partner Randy was flying the Chief.  He had my second cousin with him, and had one mag start acting up.  We were landing on the frozen lakes.   I ended up with a passenger back to my field, and all was good.  I even made one of those rare supper smooth landings.  Easier to do on skis of course.   Not sure how accurate it is, but I was showing a sustained 1000' per minute climb on the VSI after take off.  Did I mention I'm liking this plane??   :)  JImChuk

1 person likes this