Locking tail gear

6 posts in this topic

Posted

What do you all recommend for a good value, quality, locking tailwheel? Leaf spring or convert to tube?

Posted

Matco worked very well for me on my previous Kitfox. They are reasonable in price and are for leaf spring like the airplane is built for.

Another highly respected tailwheel is the "Hombuilder's tailwheel" sold by Aircraft spruce. They have leaf and rod style versions available.

Posted

Are these lockable tailwheels?

Posted

As in locking straight ahead with no steering ability like the Haigh tailwheels on Pitts airplanes?? You don't need that on a Kitfox.

The Matco, Maule, and homebuilder tailwheels are the most popular and lock to the steering arm except in full rudder deflection. This provides steering connection via springs to the rudder, but unlock for full swivel and tight turns with full rudder deflection. The engagement to the steering arm is automatic based on rudder deflection.

The Haigh is full swivel with no connection to the rudder  and there is an arm actuated by a push-pull cable that locks the tailwheel straight ahead. So it is locked straight ahead or full swivel like a shopping cart wheel. Below is a picture of a Haigh tailwheel. As I said, not needed on a Kitfox but I'm getting ready to try one on my Sonerai.

Haigh.jpg

Posted

How likely are the ones mentioned, that lock to the rudders, to ground loop (due to the tail wheel turning I commanded) under strong cross wind? That is why I was thinking lock straight. Maybe I don’t need that.?.

Posted

Mine has worked just fine for 1200+ hours and I fly in some pretty strong crosswinds here in WY  I've taxied in winds blowing 34, gusting to 38 with a direct crosswind.  It does take some braking on the leeward, downwind side. Not fun but sometimes the wind really comes up while out flying.  Note the TW pictured above is free castering, not steerable.  I'm running the 8" Marco with the wide tire. It does have a weakness in design, I think if I had it to do over I would go for the 8" with the standard pneumatic tire.