Jabiru on barnstormers $2500

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Just saw this, and talked to the owner.  He said he crashed his Avid C on the first flight.  Plane is kind of balled up, but after talking for a bit, he said he would throw the plane in with the engine for the same price.  It is an early engine, however.  Anyway, maybe someone is interested.  No registration with the plane any longer though.  Plane is a trike as well, HH wing.  If it was close, I'd go have a look at it.  JImChuk

JABIRU 2300A • $2,500 • AVAILABLE • Jabiru 2200a low time with prop strike on wood prop off Avid c in Arkansas • Contact Frank Maier , Owner - located Ozark, AR United States Telephone: 4792090430 • Posted June 5, 2020

Posted

I understood that the gen 1 engines were decent engines if cooled properly. Its the gen 2 and 3 engines that had issues. But I've been wrong before.

Posted

This one is serial # 60.  Real early.  Lots of changes made after it was produced.    JImChuk

Posted

This is a REALLY early model.  Aluminum connecting rods...no parts available from Jabiru.  Made around 55 HP, advertising notwhithstanding (see CASA documentation for verification).  Which helped it run cooler..  For a list of mods that has been greatly truncated, you can read here:  https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Summary-of-significant-engine-changes-May-09.pdf 

Note that the crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods, and *even the engine block* are to be replaced on overhaul, which for that engine is 500 hours.   On the bright side, it has the second variant of heads.. 

Posted

I'm not a fan of Jabiru.  Guy here put a 3300 in an 601hds and really struggled with it.  Hard to get it to cool.  Once the temps were under control and he could fly it stuff started breaking.  Heads, valves, cylinders.  Last straw was the oil pump housing that cracked and spewed oil while he was over the hills in north Georgia.  Luckily he was able to get to a grass strip before oil pressure was lost.  Had to leave it and come back with a new part.  Bad casting.

Support?  He must be running it too hard, too hot, etc.  Bull!

Posted

Not really no perfect engine for the older Avid/Fox birds it seems. Either too heavy, not enough power, problems, or some other issues. Appears that a lot of different engines have been used, tried, or experimented with. The old go to engine seems to be the 582 for the most of them. When the airframes are no longer being produced one is left to groups like this for ideas and advice. And yet, the Avid/Foxes are still airborne. Myself, I'll keep plugging along with the HKS and see how it does. So far, all reports are positive that I've read and heard about. The New Kitfox isn't too interested in the older Foxes and that is understandable since they support their kits. So we keep plugging along with our ideas and experimenting.

1 person likes this