Eliminating the nose wheel tube

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a MKIV I am working on. I am the third owner so I have some things to fix, parts to find, etc. In looking for a good brake pedal solution I noted in the pictures that were posted there is a lot more foot room without the tube that holds the nose wheel gear and some of its bracing. I changed to plane to a bush gear setup. I am thinking of cutting the hose wheel tube off flush at the floor and removing the tube that goes back to the seat pan along with the upper tube that goes up to the firewall. The two tubes coming down diagonally from the fire wall seem to be what is normally there without the nose wheel tube. What do you guys think?

IMG_2160[1].JPG

IMG_2159[1].JPG

Posted

I don't think the nose wheel tube gets in the way of one's feet any more then on a regular MK IV.  I wouldn't remove it if it was me.  Might make the plane more valuable down the road if it ever gets sold.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That fuselage (and plane) is worth more with that nose tube left in place. Not everyone wants to fly a tail dragger (well yes they do, but not everyone can) so that little weldment adds a lot of value when you go to sell the plane.

Posted

I have a MKIV I am working on. I am the third owner so I have some things to fix, parts to find, etc. In looking for a good brake pedal solution I noted in the pictures that were posted there is a lot more foot room without the tube that holds the nose wheel gear and some of its bracing. I changed to plane to a bush gear setup. I am thinking of cutting the hose wheel tube off flush at the floor and removing the tube that goes back to the seat pan along with the upper tube that goes up to the firewall. The two tubes coming down diagonally from the fire wall seem to be what is normally there without the nose wheel tube. What do you guys think?

IMG_2160[1].JPG

IMG_2159[1].JPG

would you tell me the outside diameter of that nose wheel tube in your picture and the tube’s wall thickness as well?