Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flapperons

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Going to have to trim my flaperons on the inboard end. They rub when folding the wings and scratches the paint. Only need to take about an inch off the trailing edge corner and make some new filler blocks to close the end. May just use alum instead of the wood blocks. I have a 36" metal brake so simple to do. Got a supply of 3/32" rivets reasonable from Albany Fasteners  to use on the trailing edge to keep from separating at the glue line. I've seen several where the trailing edge wants to separate at the factory glue joint due to flexing, hangar rash, etc. 3/32" rivets work good for this and protrude very little. Always some little something to be done as in the life of a experimental aircraft.

Posted

Yeppers i did the samething with rivets and hysol glue, when the glue was dry i took a pair of vicegrip pliers, ground the inside edge of jaw smooth, and squashed the end of the rivet into a flat head, now the top and bottom of the rivet look the same instead of haveing the extra of the rivit sticking up/down pased the surface of flaperon. 

Posted

Was going to use standard aircraft rivets and countersink them or dimple them but the flaperon is not very ridged to start with one has to be  careful and not do more damage when bucking rivets or a rivet squeezer.

Posted

Not to change the subject Allen, but when are we going to hear some flight reports?  :)  JImChuk

Posted

Not to change the subject Allen, but when are we going to hear some flight reports?  :)  JImChuk

Soon as you send some of that sunny warm weather down my way. Its either snow, rain, or so windy it blows my hair off. Believe me, I am more ready to fly than anybody. Been flying a 100 hp Champ getting some refresher practice. It may be the greatest first flight for the "new classic" Fox or the worst if it doesn't perform like I expect. Either way, I'll post the results here. Gotta take the bad with the good. Been helping another friend who is trying to get his Fox ready by spring. Not a rebuild, but a lot of little things to replace and tweak for safety reasons. Its a model 2 also with a 582.  It was the one in Pa. that was for sale last fall for $7500. He is getting his feet wet learning a lot of maint tips and repair procedures. Keeps the flying wolf at bay till nicer weather. I am not a snowbird or polar bear so late winter or early spring in the mountains can be very unpleasant.

2 people like this

Posted

Checking out the rigging, quirks and engine performance is a lot more focused if you're not getting kicked around like a soccer ball while trying to do it. Been flying the Champ in 10-15 mph winds, but the Fox is a whole different animal in every way. Worked too long, too hard and too much money to get in a hurry and do something Stupid at this stage in the game. This Fox is just fast enough and heavy enough that it can just barely kill you! 

2 people like this

Posted

I agree, pick a good day before flying.  I'll see if I can schedule some good weather for you and send it your way.  The better the conditions are  when you're not real used to it, the better chance there will be for a second flight.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim Chuk, thanks for the good weather! LOL! Its 14 deg, 25 mph wind and snowing so hard that vis is about 400-500'. So far, 8" and climbing. Probably nice weather for you northern snowbirds. We must have a different opinion of "good weather".

Posted (edited)

Patience is a virtue.  It will get better. :unsure: I'm heading north on Sunday, so I'll be back in the snow soon as well.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer