Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Glue for Struts

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm getting ready to attach my wood fairings to my rebuilt struts. Questions to the forum.  What type of glue is recommended now days?  Should the strut tubing be painted first?  What should the wood be sealed with? Thanks you, Neil  model C HH

Posted

I would think either hysol 9460 or scotchweld 2216 would do the job.  Both are structural epoxies.  I also think that the better the strut is painted, the less likely that rust would develop on it and the wood fairing.  I would seal the wood with epoxy varnish.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim. I'll pick up the hysol and epoxy varnish. Neil

Posted

Just wondering, how  did you rebuild your struts? I am thinking about doing the same with a pair of mine.

Posted

Well, if you paint it first, how well it sticks is entirely dependent on how well the paint sticks, since the glue will only be sticking the fairing to the paint.

Posted

The covering will hold it all together.  I think its best that you seal up the strut before you put the wood fairing on.  Mine were not sealed up and the tubes rusted out really bad where the wood was holding moisture against them.