Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Longman

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.

I wonder if you could assist me.
I have a MK4 and an earlier Mk that was built in the USA, an Avid flyer S wing serial No 213.

The earlier model has an engine frame that uses "Lord" mounts with the cast fittings bolted to the engine, the Lord mounts then connect to the frame.

The Mk4 has castings with a sort of Barry mounts directly from the engine frame as per the construction drawings I have seen  The engine frame, has an additional component that supports the two front radiators.

I have obtained an engine frame that will accept the Lord mount system that also has the front rad supports that are integral with the frame, not additional.

I can't find out if the new frame I have is the very latest iteration or not.  That being the case, the early Avid flyer must? have had it's engine frame replaced?

I would appreciate any help you could give in this matter, as the mount on the earlier plane is so much smoother in operation and I would like to swap the current Mk4 one for the later one I have.

Posted

Avid made two different types of removable motor mounts that I'm aware of for the two stroke engines.  Earlier one used 4 rubber bushings sets that you cut out of a sheet of rubber.  The later mount called a dyna smooth mount, used two aluminum pieces that bolted to the engine, and were supported on the ends by the lord mounts.   The later style was supposed to be better at getting rid of the vibrations from the two stroke engines.   It may have been an option when it first came out.  JImChuk

Posted

Pictures are worth a thousand words.  Jim summed it up with the 2 types of mounts.  Post up pictures and we will see what we can do to help you.

:BC: