Tail Wheel/ Nosegear

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Instructor keeps postponing my refresher time. And since he is the only one in the state, I don't have too many options.  If my model 2 wasn't in such good condition, I'd tear it apart and remake it into a nose dragger. Except I probably don't have the engineering skills to pull it off. A few instructors around but one TW guy. And I suspect it isn't going to get any better in the future. Nose gear aircraft seem easier to get a BFR in.

Posted

That's on big reason I am considering converting mine.  At the moment it is completely stripped down so it's a good time to comvert it.  Besides, I am extremely unlikely to ever do back country type flying.

Posted

Actually I have thought about the rough field landings with a nose gear. Most fields I would land on anyways, a nose wheel would handle just fine. I have no problem with the tail wheel, its just a lot simpler to get BFR's in tricycle gear airplanes without driving 12 hrs or more.  But I don't have enough engineering background to make it a success.

Posted

Once you have your tail dragger endorsement and feel comfortable in your kitfox, you can get your BFR's in any airplane you are rated in and it will be good for your KF. The BFR simply has to be in an aircraft in which you are rated. So for example,  if you have both airplane single-engine and  multiengine land ratings you could take your BFR in a 150 and it would cover you for flying a twin or a Cub. For many years I owned a single seat Sonerai, and a Piper Twin Comanche, and I usually got my BFR's in the rental Cessna 172 because doing in the Sonerai wasn't possible and I didn't like torturing the engines I payed to maintain on PA-30. 

Posted

I thought that was the way it was but wasn't sure. I don't legally need the TW endorsement but still think some refresher time is valuable. A BFR is basically just money spent with an instructor if you're up on basic flying skills. A old style TW aircraft just fine tunes those skills to a higher degree. But I have always learned something from every person I flew with. And sometimes it was what NOT to do. But ashamed to admit that I like my instructors to resemble John Wayne or Charlton Heston and not some green kid with the ink still wet on his instructors license. Though they may be highly qualified. Maybe I am getting old!

1 person likes this