Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid or early Kitfox

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys as you know I'm new to this and obsessed with these planes. I just sold a total project avid A.  I am looking for another one that is a little more structurally sound.   Looking for a good project.  Having a hard time making up my mind as all the planes I look in to eaither sold or are just out of budget right now.  Any recommendations?  I'm a new pilot and still very early in the process.  Just like the idea of tinkering on one while I learn.   I know I should be focusing on flight school but for some reason I can't get these plane out of my head.   Any of your guys advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Posted

May I ask why you sold the Avid project if your looking for a project? Was there something wrong with it? Or you just looking for something a little further along, There sure is alot of them out there,

Posted

If you are taking a step back and starting over, save your penneys for a Kitfox IV.  Either a 1050 or 1200; or a 582 or 912.  You will not be disappointed.  

Maybe a little more $ up front, but the payoff long term in performance is well worth it. 

Posted

May I ask why you sold the Avid project if your looking for a project? Was there something wrong with it? Or you just looking for something a little further along, There sure is alot of them out there,

What model Avid did you have, and why did you sell it - yes, I am nosey too!  EDMO

Posted

It was a model A.  Serial number 106.    All the wood was rotted.  Just to much time for me right now.   

IMG_1758.JPG

Posted

Looks like a real headstart on a plane that had already been built once - if the wing ribs were rotted all you needed was new ribs and covering.      EDMO

Posted

I know but I sold it to buy another one and the other sold the same day.  So now I'm plane less 

Posted

Here's another one I found with a vw in it.  Has over 100hrs with that motor and full logs etc. 

IMG_1875.JPG

Posted

IMG_1886.JPG

Posted (edited)

The VW probably wont perform as good as the Rotax 2-strokes or a Subaru, and I don't like 2-strokes.  At least it will fly, and the engines and parts are cheap and plentiful!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Kanfuso,   Are you wanting a nose wheel Avid, or does it matter?  JImChuk

Posted

Kanfuso,   Are you wanting a nose wheel Avid, or does it matter?  JImChuk

it doesn't matter.   

Posted

Avoid the VW powered planes unless you can buy it real cheap and repower it. 

VWs do not perform well in these planes.  They have been tried many times by many people and the just don't work. 

Posted

VWs do not perform well in these planes.  They have been tried many times by many people and the just don't work. 

ya that's what I have read.  That's why I just can't pull the trigger on that one and go take a look.   

Posted

Lots of options out there right now. What's your budget?

Posted (edited)

ya that's what I have read.  That's why I just can't pull the trigger on that one and go take a look.   

If it isn't too far from you, then why not see if you can go for a ride in it?  I would like to read an opinion from the pilot and/or copilot on performance of the VW, and not from rumors.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

this is All I know bout them. Definitely no 912 but it isn't horrible. Don't know who it is either, Just found it and thought I would post it,

1 person likes this

Posted

The VSI is showing 1000 FPM climb.  Not that bad if it's accurate.  Better than I've been lead to believe.  JImChuk

Posted

The VSI is showing 1000 FPM climb.  Not that bad if it's accurate.  Better than I've been lead to believe.  JImChuk

I think there may a lot of difference in STOL performance whether or not it has a redrive and larger prop, but donno which he had.  Most of us arent going to enter any contests - just fly whatever works.   I liked that video.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

VW disappointments are not an internet rumor, Ed.  I can give names and email addresses for people that have tried and failed with VW engines in Avid/Kitfox/Just airplanes.  VW with a redrive is 250+ pounds.  You might as well have an O200, C85 or Suby.  VW without a redrive needs a 60" prop which give horrible low speed performance.  There are airplanes that work with VW engines, Sonex, KR2, etc.  The Avid/Kitfox lineage is NOT one of them.

Don't waste your time.  Unless you can buy it for $5k it isn't worth the time.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Dang funny Larry, since we just watched a video of one actually flying - of course it wouldn't stay up with your $uper-Zipper 912.  Did you count the seconds it took to get off of the ground?  The climb rate looked good.  There is a lot of difference in a 1600 VW and a modern 2180, just like there are differences in all engines.   If my only choices were Rotax or cheap VW, I would take the VW for cheaper flying.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Whatever, Ed.

Posted

If it isn't too far from you, then why not see if you can go for a ride in it?  I would like to read an opinion from the pilot and/or copilot on performance of the VW, and not from rumors.  EDMO

Ed he is about 7 hours away and is the owners son.  It hasn't left the ground in 12 years.  So needs to be gone over.  Also he's asking 8k and says 6k is to cheap. So it's just out of my range for a project that big. 

Posted

Lots of options out there right now. What's your budget?

Hey Joey.   Sitting at about 6k for a project.  

Posted

Having flown behind a VW I would not consider one again and doubly true for an Avid with one.  If it has not flown in 12 years, there is a 90 percent chance that it was not preserved (the engine).  There were several different VW conversions out there and some were poor at best.  I had a 2180 Revemaster which is one that is ok and the Great Plains was also one of the "good":blink: ones.  

That video is amazing but is the exception for a VW powered plane.  I don't recall it saying what was done to the engine to get that kind of performance and if the engine lasted more than a few weeks.

Mine was in a Q2 by the way which was ok with a short prop.

One data point and it is worth what I charged you.