Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone using an AVCOMM headset?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone using AVCOMM headsets?  One of the guys in our EAA Chapter is selling a used set of AC-454 headsets.  I am thinking of picking these up for a spare.  Interesting in that it has a push to talk built in. It does this using an extra band on the main plug jack, so not sure if it will work with my system.

http://www.avcomm.com/AC-454-headset-p/ac-454.htm

These would be spares, but they do seem to do a very good job with removing room noise.  Will try them in the bird on Friday.

Any feedback appreciated.  They are estimated to be about 5 years old.

Posted

My first headset was an Avcomm. I used it for around 300 hours before replacing it with a lightweight Lightspeed Mach 1. I didn't have any issues with it and it was one of their lowest end ones. The one you are pointing towards is quite a bit fancier and more expensive new. I'm pretty sure I paid $95 for mine with the headset bag, ear muff covers and some cleaning stuff. 

It's been over 12 years since I purchased mine and it sits as in my parents 172. Unless something happened to it, mine still works as well. I'd say go for it. It's not a top of the line but it wasn't as bad as some I've used that cost two to three times as much either. 

Posted

I have the cheap pair as well.  Over 5000 hours of flying in lots of planes.  Still working amd holding up like new!

Posted

Great feedback, thanks.

Posted

You may have to get a stereo to mono adapter in 1/4 inch, even so it only 3 bucks, all that does is take that extra band and move it to the left side, Some times its needed and sometimes its not,