Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any members here computer savy with forum software

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, once again my ignorance is kicking my ass and I am looking for a member who knows how to do FTP uploads and can figure out how to update the forum software.  I am not getting the support from invision that I once did when it comes to upgrades and it is past time to do some software updates for security reasons.  If anyone has some knowledge in this area I would be grateful if you would shoot me a PM and see if we can get this updated.

Thanks

:BC:

Posted

Wow zero replies, ha you don't just pick on one person at a time do you, I think you found a way to make the whole group feel stupid, :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Wow zero replies, ha you don't just pick on one person at a time do you, I think you found a way to make the whole group feel stupid, :lmao:

I learned 3 things in computer class:  On - Off - Crash!  :lol:  I either had 3 or 4 computer classes that I had enrolled in, but by the time we got thru with binary numbers, some disaster or disruption happened and I had to stop the class. 

Guessing the Computer God's were afraid to let me learn the secrets!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

lol, nope, got a few pms and have a software engineer trying to figure it out.  :BC: 

Posted

I've run a few websites and forums over the years.  I also develop software for more years than I care to admit to. 

I looked at this forum behind the scenes. It's very limited in what an admin can fix/adjust/change making you reliant,  perhaps too reliant, on the host.  

I think it could be worthwhile over the longer-term to change the platform to something more broadly used.   Even with my experience, I found this forum to be somewhat clunky and difficult to administrate. I can only imagine how difficult it probably is for those to whom computers are only a necessary evil.

There exists several inexpensive used web hosts that can provide free forum software easy to install, Customizable, and broadly used. The trick would be migrating all of the posts and information from this forum over to a new platform  

If all you need to do right now is upgrade this using FTP and a few shell commands, I think I can give you a hand with it 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I've run a few websites and forums over the years.  I also develop software for more years than I care to admit to. 

I looked at this forum behind the scenes. It's very limited in what an admin can fix/adjust/change making you reliant,  perhaps too reliant, on the host.  

I think it could be worthwhile over the longer-term to change the platform to something more broadly used.   Even with my experience, I found this forum to be somewhat clunky and difficult to administrate. I can only imagine how difficult it probably is for those to whom computers are only a necessary evil.

There exists several inexpensive used web hosts that can provide free forum software easy to install, Customizable, and broadly used. The trick would be migrating all of the posts and information from this forum over to a new platform  

If all you need to do right now is upgrade this using FTP and a few shell commands, I think I can give you a hand with it 

I am probably the most "computer challenged" on this site, and I find it very easy to do anything I need to do.  

I have no idea what it takes to moderate or maintain the site, or how it could be improved.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

V bulletin out of the question Leni? 

Posted

+1 Joey.  So easy to work with...

Posted

+1 V bulletin

Posted

I will check into V bulletin..

Posted

Knuckledragger,

I offered to help, but it sounds like you have more experience with forum software.  While I've been developing and supporting software for 30+ years, I never delved into forums much.  I'd be happy to bow out and let you have a crack at it!

Mark

Posted

Mark, as far as I know your still it LOL.  But if you would like to give KD a crack at it let me know.  Worst case, I pay someone in the Netherlands to do the update again..

Posted

V bulletin out of the question Leni? 

+1 Joey.  So easy to work with...

+1 V bulletin

Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Solutions. Unfortunately, we currently do not offer any official tools or services for migrating from another platform.

There is an open source tool available for free, but it very outdated and you would need to have a copy of our software to use it without knowing how successful it will be.
It is available here if you want to take a look: https://github.com/vBZachery/vbimpex

============
Joshua
Sales & Customer Account Support
vBulletin Solutions

I am not too confident that I could do the software swap and not loose everything we have.

Posted

Well damn, that sucks. Loss of content? I don't think I would chance it either. As long as you have a back up, but if it didn't work that would be money down the drain. My site we used VBulletin and it is nice.

I can ask my buddy that set up our site and see what he says...