Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine alignment

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Unfortunately gotta pull my soob off.  Might end up switching out to the Yamaha Genesis  (RX1). 

Wondering if you guys have any tips on how to align and locate (prop flange coming out of cowl in the right place) a new engine.

I had a crazy idea (they all are...) to build an alignment jig out of 2x4.  Bolt it above cockpit to wing center section, run a 2x4 out front of the nose up high, then another down to touch the center of the soob prop flange.

When new motor goes on just get the new prop flange touching jig at same location, set angle, then tack the motor mount together.

Never done anything like this before...  I'm sure there is a better way!

Posted

The 2 x 4s would probably work, but something else to consider is the weight difference between the engines.  You may want the Yamaha further forward for CG purposes.  Or maybe there is weight in the tail counterbalancing the heavy Subaru which can be removed, and then the prop hubs could perhaps end up in the same place.   JImChuk

Posted

Yeah.  Predicting cg is gonna be complicated:  going to floats, tailwheel and gear off, ventral fin, water rudder.....

Luckily its full lotus, where you can easily "slide" the floats fore or aft to help a little in the end.

Posted

Look at the jig I made on the 912 mount thread.  I used the 582 mount and engine to locate firewall and prop location.  then you pull off the old engine and mount and start filling in the blanks.  but it keeps prop in exact location  as old engine.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's pretty nice!  Production quality jig.

Let me know when you start making RX1 mounts and I'll buy one!

(If ya just had an rx1 motor laying around.. then I could send ya the soob mount and you could build off that...)

1 person likes this