Rotax 912 mounts

33 posts in this topic

Posted

So, after having fun building the mount for Jeff and making a good jig I am gauging the interest in 912 mounts for both the Avid and the KF IV.  I am told that most people are not too crazy about the KF IV mount and I am sure I can make one up using the rotax rear mount just like I did for the Avid.  I have a buddy with a bare bones KF IV that I can use for the new pattern and jig if there is much interest in one.  I am not looking at doing this full time, but I am willing to help out guys that want to upgrade and can't get any factory support on a mount that I hear does not fit anyway.

Any interest in a new mount that works?

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

damn, don't everyone jump in at once :lol:  I'm looking at a JD squared bender and a bench top mill so I can make a mount comparable to the rotax ring mount that wont break the bank and have the price tag that the rotax one carries.  It would be made just a hair different so it would hopefully be easier to pull the starter if needed.

I really like doing the fab work and if I am going to do it I want to take the time to get set up right so I am not spending hours a day on the grinder to shape the tube ends to make the mount.  I figure if I sell a couple mounts it will cover the tooling costs and if nothing else, I will be tooled up to make other avid parts as needed as well.

I wont be doing this full time, I work a real job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and I have to have some time to hang with my daughter but I can deliver great products in a reasonable time... especially since no one else seems to be to interested in doing this type of work for Avids.

Posted (edited)

damn, don't everyone jump in at once :lol:  I'm looking at a JD squared bender and a bench top mill so I can make a mount comparable to the rotax ring mount that wont break the bank and have the price tag that the rotax one carries.  It would be made just a hair different so it would hopefully be easier to pull the starter if needed.

I really like doing the fab work and if I am going to do it I want to take the time to get set up right so I am not spending hours a day on the grinder to shape the tube ends to make the mount.  I figure if I sell a couple mounts it will cover the tooling costs and if nothing else, I will be tooled up to make other avid parts as needed as well.

I wont be doing this full time, I work a real job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and I have to have some time to hang with my daughter but I can deliver great products in a reasonable time... especially since no one else seems to be to interested in doing this type of work for Avids.

Sorry Leni, I didn't mean to cover up this post with the question about the Bush Gears - When things are slow I usually try to stir the pot a little.  Now, for those who don't know - Akflyer Leni is, if I have it right, a "certified, ordained, approved, Welder/Supervisor/Inspector"  working on the North Slope of Alaska for some kind of energy company - And on his 2 weeks off he tries to help Airplane people any way he can - Like getting this great site for us!

So you can bet that these mounts will have the best welding you can buy!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I think it would be real nice if you could start making some of the Avid and Kitfox parts Leni.  Right now I don't need any parts, but hope others do.  I'm sure there is a need for landing gears as well as motor mounts.  Maybe some would be interested in the F7 A bellcrank parts also.  Might be a market for some Avid style skis.  One negative is the shipping costs from up there to the lower 48.  Hope it works for you!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought on his two weeks off he chased girls and got drunk...  ?

1 person likes this

Posted

That's why he needs to stay busy welding!  Cheaper that way....   EDMO

Posted

Sorry Leni, I didn't mean to cover up this post with the question about the Bush Gears - When things are slow I usually try to stir the pot a little.  Now, for those who don't know - Akflyer Leni is, if I have it right, a "certified, ordained, approved, Welder/Supervisor/Inspector"  working on the North Slope of Alaska for some kind of energy company - And on his 2 weeks off he tries to help Airplane people any way he can - Like getting this great site for us!

your right on that one... but I would not go so far as to say its the best welds that money can buy.. I am not running an automated orbital welder so its still subject to human hand steadiness :lol:  I will say that nothing will ever leave my shop that I would not fly with my daughter in the plane...

Posted

well, as of a couple days ago it seems that I am facing the AIDS thing again... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.. so there may be some split tail hunting going on again in the 2 weeks off.  :lmao:

Posted (edited)

your right on that one... but I would not go so far as to say its the best welds that money can buy.. I am not running an automated orbital welder so its still subject to human hand steadiness :lol:  I will say that nothing will ever leave my shop that I would not fly with my daughter in the plane...

I never even thought of myself as a welder, but I have burned some metal until the Docs told me to quit - Now, it is a 100 mile trip to get any critical welding done that I would fly with, from a FAA certified welder who builds WACO fuselages from blueprints.   He looked at some Kitfox factory MIG welds one time, and just shook his head, with a sort of "You're going to fly in that?" look!  

Yes, you need to be welding parts for mounts, gear, F7A, etc., before you and Captain Morgan go on another hunt!  Ha!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok, one of your Avid 912 mounts would probably work fine with regard to both FW bushing location and CG on my A+. But I am not using a Mk-4 cowl and don't have either one of my choices available to fit for the prop plate location. If I did I would take you up on your offer, although it would mean you would need to fabricate a third 'one-off' mount. :)

Posted

I get that Mr Doug!  I am sure we could figure that out when the time comes.  I an pretty sure that Randys fat avid did not use his MK IV cowling and in any case, I can pull measurements off his to fab a jig for what ever you need for yours when you figure out where you would want to the prop.  I don't think I posted any pics of the new welding jig that I made so that all attach points are bolted in place so nothing can move or pull during welding.  With this jig I can set what ever distance a person would want the ring mount off the firewall and just fill in the tubes very easily.

Posted

I think it would be real nice if you could start making some of the Avid and Kitfox parts Leni.  Right now I don't need any parts, but hope others do.  I'm sure there is a need for landing gears as well as motor mounts.  Maybe some would be interested in the F7 A bellcrank parts also.  Might be a market for some Avid style skis.  One negative is the shipping costs from up there to the lower 48.  Hope it works for you!  JImChuk

Shipping a set of gear is about 180 bucks from here.  Not too bad and I am sure I could do it cheaper if I sent it freight on a barge instead of USPS.

Jeff has already hit me up about making him a set of "cub" style gear.  I have beat mine around enough now that I increased travel and the new springs that I would feel comfortable making them for sale.  Looks like I will end up with a shop full of jigs in the near future!  I am pretty sure that Paul had made up a few sets of the F7A cranks but I am not sure how well they sold.  It would not take much to make up a jig for those as well.  cripes.. I was not looking for a full time job on my time off, but I do have several guys I could lean on to put parts together once I have the jigs built.

Posted (edited)

No need for a motor mount, but I'd be interested in hearing more about Cub style gear and F7A bell cranks if shipping costs could be kept reasonable.

Only 4,829 miles between us according to ZeeMaps, so shipping will be a breeze . . . :huh:

Edited by RobS

Posted

I would like cub style gear as well. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Pretty soon you will have to quit your day job Leni!  ;-)  Just looked at USPS shipping for a 36" x 18" x18"  20 lb. box to MN and the charge is $126.  That was without a business account that knocks it down a bit.  Figured a spring gear would fit in that box easy.  Just to compare, I checked for the same size box from SC to Mn. and it was $112.  Not a lot different really.   JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I would like cub style gear as well. 

Jeff, your first on the list and your the one responsible for me having to work more :)  :lol:  I truly do enjoy the fabrication though so its good for me and its a great excuse to buy a few new tools for the garage.... such as a new tubing bender from the UK to deal with the POS rotax exhaust system.  Wouldn't it be nice to have some custom mandrel bent tubes instead of a bunch of extra welds and half cobbled up looking crap under the cowling?  Will see if I can get it delivered here in time to do yours.

Rob, the F7A cranks will be a piece of cake, I will just have to pull them off the plane to duplicate mine.  I will try to get to that this month when I get home, but I have to get Jeff's exhaust and radiator mount done so I can get him going.

Posted

Pretty soon you will have to quit your day job Leni!  ;-)  Just looked at shipping a 36" x 18" x18"  20 lb. box to MN and the charge is $126.  That was without a business account that knocks it down a bit.  Figured a spring gear would fit in that box easy.  Just to compare, I checked for the same size box from SC to Mn. and it was $112.  Not a lot different really.   JImChuk

Most shippers forget that we are actually part of the USA up here... it kills me when we try to order something small from some place (that fits in a priority mailer) and they will flat out refuse saying they wont ship to AK... even though it costs the exact same rate to ship from their location to the other side of town as it does to AK.

I shipped my wide gear to NY and it was 169 bucks.  not really that bad as far as I was concerned.

Posted

No need for a motor mount, but I'd be interested in hearing more about Cub style gear and F7A bell cranks if shipping costs could be kept reasonable.

Only 4,829 miles between us according to ZeeMaps, so shipping will be a breeze . . . :huh:

I can get those to you cheap as well.. I just remembered that my alternate and 2 guys that work from me live in Maine.. I can arrange to have them check the stuff in as luggage on the flight home.

Posted

Shipping a set of gear is about 180 bucks from here.  Not too bad and I am sure I could do it cheaper if I sent it freight on a barge instead of USPS.

Jeff has already hit me up about making him a set of "cub" style gear.  I have beat mine around enough now that I increased travel and the new springs that I would feel comfortable making them for sale.  Looks like I will end up with a shop full of jigs in the near future!  I am pretty sure that Paul had made up a few sets of the F7A cranks but I am not sure how well they sold.  It would not take much to make up a jig for those as well.  cripes.. I was not looking for a full time job on my time off, but I do have several guys I could lean on to put parts together once I have the jigs built.

The F7As were selling great.  I stopped selling them because I was doing it non-profit and had other thing to do with my free time, like flying and now that I have retired I just don't have the time.:P

4 people like this

Posted

Leni -

Are these the same measures your Avid mount jig is set for?

image.thumb.jpeg.abedebccdfc3a1f01d0b9cb

What about adding a nose gear weldment to the motor mount with support legs for a new lower center firewall bushing?

image.thumb.jpeg.fda1f87270e8b2bbad440f1

Posted

Doug,

I have pulled so many measurements in the last couple weeks I honestly can't remember the exact numbers on the jig, but I would be willing to bet they are damn close to what you are showing if not the same, the numbers certainly ring a bell.  I can tell you that they match the Avid pattern within a 64th on mine.  

Hmmm.. Will have to think about the nose dragger thing, that goes against the very nature of my being!  hahahahaha Will see what the future holds and what the demand levels are... shit, I am gonna need a full time guy soon, anyone have a recent lead for Winder?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

About the nose gear... if all goes according to plan, the A+ is going straight on my new amphibs but I do like the idea of a convertible option. I think it's one of the new KF's biggest selling points actually. And, if there's anything learned after spending hours building or fixing these things, it's that planning ahead and making provisions for something generally saves time, effort and $$ in the long run.

:beerchug:

[edit] Actually, if you are fabbing mounts to include a Rotax ring, the KF nose gear style weldment might be easier to adapt. Pic added.

KF nose gear mount.jpg

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

I never even thought of myself as a welder, but I have burned some metal until the Docs told me to quit - Now, it is a 100 mile trip to get any critical welding done that I would fly with, from a FAA certified welder who builds WACO fuselages from blueprints.   He looked at some Kitfox factory MIG welds one time, and just shook his head, with a sort of "You're going to fly in that?" look!  

Yes, you need to be welding parts for mounts, gear, F7A, etc., before you and Captain Morgan go on another hunt!  Ha!  EDMO

OK Ed, I really don't want to be a dick... but there really is no such thing as an FAA welding certification... you can be certified in house or with an accredited institution (AWS for example) and the FAA can if they want review your certificate.  There are no requirements by the FAA to be "certified" only that the A&P signs the work off.

This is a very common misunderstanding.

If you do know a welder that has a certification from the FAA I would dearly love to see his certificate.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

OK Ed, I really don't want to be a dick... but there really is no such thing as an FAA welding certification... you can be certified in house or with an accredited institution (AWS for example) and the FAA can if they want review your certificate.  There are no requirements by the FAA to be "certified" only that the A&P signs the work off.

This is a very common misunderstanding.

If you do know a welder that has a certification from the FAA I would dearly love to see his certificate.

Leni,  This is the owner - only welder at a FAA certified repair facility - all I know is that his welding is some of the best I have seen, and he builds WACO fuselages from the original prints - Donno the specifics, if he is now the WACO factory, TCSD holder, experimental, or otherwise.  Most welders here wont touch an airplane part. 

I know that the guys at the prop shop where I worked at to get certification, and it was a FAA repair station.   I don't know what the welders at Cash Welding & Machining had to do for a certificate to weld on cranes and other stuff.  I was just a machinist.  I know that you have a lot more knowledge about welding than I do.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

He can be a repair station, he can be a factory, he can be a shade tree mechanic.  Bottom line is there is no such thing as an "faa certified welder" just a guy that has certifications from the company he is working for or from an accredited institution that certifies him for the materials joined, the thickness range, diameters and the position.  Bottom line is no one needs said certification just an A&P who will sign off the work.