Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Go pro clone lens filter

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  I have one of those cheap go pro clones on order, and am thinking I want one of those filters that will remove the propeller  from the video.  Not sure what they are called.   Any help?  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

Go to a photo shop and get some #6 neutral density paper and cut it to fit between the lense and the housing and it will take care of the prop effects.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I don't think we have a photo shop in town anymore.  I see lots of cheap filters on ebay, which one should I get if I can't find a photo shop?  Thanks, JImChuk

Posted

Jim,

I would recomend an ND8 filter (neutral density, the number correspond to the number of f-stops) going lower and you are likey to still get artifacts. If your camera is good (while still cheap) don't get too cheap on the filter or you will end up with negative impact on the picture. And bad filter on a not so good camera... Hoya have good filters for decent price.

Thers is a company selling ridiculously expensive kits around gopro for pilots and they are providing ND8 filters so I assume 8 is close to optimum.... 

Another hint is to always use the filter, even if the prop is not in view on all takes as "neutral" isnt always that neutral any you will get different colortones with and without the filter.

Through Amazon you can get filter adapters for most gopro like cameras as well as filters. For an "always on" setup it could be worth getting an additional housing and glue the filter in place replacing the original protectiv glass. If you use a super wide mode it is easy to get the corners obstructed if the filter is not close or wide enough.  

I'm working on this summers film and have been using ND8 filter on my gopro. The result is very good, you can still see a slight blurr from the prop but none of the classic strange artifacts. I'll post the link as soon as it is ready.

regards

Fred

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey all, just a heads up for GoPro HD Hero 3 / 3+ / 4 Camera owners. Seems like a good deal even for China stuff, gotta be at least one or two items in this pack you can use. FYI, these will also work with DBPOWER and SJCAM cameras. Dunno when the discount expires.

Erligpowht Direct via Amazon has 40-Piece Outdoor Sports GoPro Camera Accessory Kit for $13.99 - $5 w/ promo code TYKJQZEP $8.99.  Shipping is free w/ Prime or on $49 or more. 

Erligpowht Basic Common Outdoor Sports Kit Ultimate Combo Kit 40 accessories for GoPro HERO 4/3+/3/2/1
Edited by dholly
2 people like this