Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tube diameter for 912 mount

64 posts in this topic

Posted

I didn't get around to mounting the radiator yet.  At first I was just going to use the standard Kitfox radiator mounted just in front of the landing gear on the belly of the plane.  Another idea I had was using a radiator mounted on the front of the engine.  I'm not  a fan of the big round cowl on the Kitfoxes and so I had picked up an Avid MK IV cowl that was set up for a 912 engine.  It had the opening for the radiator under the prop.  That project is on hold for the time being, and I'll get back to it eventually.  Hopefully next summer.  I think the last picture shows how the Avid cowl comes up short in front of the doors on the Kitfox 4.  Maybe Avid kept the engine further back than what Kitfox did.   JImChuk

Kitfox 4 with MK IV cowl 002 (Large).jpg

Kitfox 4 with MK IV cowl 003 (Large).jpg

Kitfox 4 with MK IV cowl 004 (Large).jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Work continues..  I must be getting old, I had to get a cheater to put in my hood.  :BC:

tmp_8300-20161010_125834-1097104300.jpg

Posted

Ha I had to all the sudden get a pair of plus 2 glasses from Walmart to see the puddle too. Don't know what happened to my eye sight over the last 3 years.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have cheater lenses in my welding helmet and torch googles.  They help, but I'm still not very good at cutting and welding. ;-)  The bifocals are a real pain to work with, especially with welding.  End up with a sore neck trying to lean your head back and look out the bottom of the bifocal.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Jim,  I couldn't make out a starter between the 912 and the firewall - is it missing, or in a different place than the other one I saw?  BTW:  +2 glasses:  Welcome to the "Over 40 Club" - been there almost that many years!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Ed, the starter is there, it's black, and right below the carb in the third (I think) picture.  It's kind of hid by the ring mount which is also black.  JImChuk

Posted

Ed, the starter is there, it's black, and right below the carb in the third (I think) picture.  It's kind of hid by the ring mount which is also black.  JImChuk

That explains it Jim - I had only seen silver painted or rust-colored starters!   ;<)   EDMO

Posted

Hi Ed,

Does your 912 have a oil cooler on it?

Posted

Don't think Ed has a 912,  I was the one who posted the last pictures of a 912.  It's not up and running yet, I figure if I need an oil cooler, I will mount it.  I have several.  With my Jabiru engine, I would take it off in the winter, and just run it in the summer.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Ed only has a starter, stator, coils;  the corpse of a 532 - The last Rotax engine he will ever own!   And two EA-81 engines - The last Subaru engines he will ever own.   Someone should get some bargains at my estate sale - someday!  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

And the engine mount is done!

Tomorrow the radiator mount and get started on the exhaust.

I'm pretty sure I know why this shit costs what it does....

:BC:

tmp_11705-20161013_213528-898907594.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks a lot cleaner than a bed mount. Very nice. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Top shelf for sure, Leni!

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good Leni.  Two questions.  Where did you get the sockets for the rubber mounts?  And what is the distance from the firewall to the front of the prop hub?  Thanks, JImChuk

Posted

Kitfox makes the sockets to fit the rotax ring mount. They also sell isolators to fit sockets. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good Leni.  Two questions.  Where did you get the sockets for the rubber mounts?  And what is the distance from the firewall to the front of the prop hub?  Thanks, JImChuk

Jim, it's 26"

:BC:

Posted

Very nice work Leni! Now to just find me a 912.

Posted (edited)

A buddy of mine just picked up a 2012 100 hp 912 ULS from Wentworth with only 185 hours. 

He wont say how much other than less than half what a new one is.  So that would be $7-8k. 

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

I emailed Kitfox and they said they don;t sell the sockets for the rubber mount separate. I have a suspension ring already. Can anyone help?

Posted

I see the cup washers and rubber mounts are available from Rotax.  Brace yourself though.  Cup washers are $55 each, and rubbers are 30 each.  X 8 for each item...  For the cup washers, I bet a hole saw, and a little time with my lathe making the concave and convex shapes on some 1 1/2" steel rod and my twenty ton press would pop them out like they were going out of style.  Actually shock absorbers have a cup washer much like those on the ring mount.  If one knew where to look, could probably find them  for a buck or two each.  Same goes for the rubbers.  JImChuk

Posted

Im  a machinist by trade and i have a pretty nice shop at home. If i had some kinda drawing i think making them would be easy. can anyone post some pictures and details?

Posted

I have a ring mount with the cup washers and rubbers on it.  I'll try to remember to get some dimensions.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you. Im chomping at the bit to start building a 912 mount, Are the washer another component or a different style attachment to the suspension ring? In the pictures earlier in this thread it looks like the isolators fit inside the sockets

Posted

That link does not have the parts im asking about. Im looking for the steel pieces that hold the rubber isolators 

isolator cup.jpg