Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need to install a fork on the end of a cable

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I am redoing the throttle on my powered parachute. I picked up a Baxter quadrant as shown below. I need a fork set up to attach the cable to the qudrant. The cable is just a standard 1/16" cable in a sleeve like a bicycle brake or similar. Curious what my options are to crimp something onto the cable or if I need a different type cable. The cable goes to a splitter because the rear seat also has a cable. It would make things much easier to use the existing cable. I have about 8"'of extra cable to work with at the moment so I babe some play room. Are there any forked ends that you can put on with a swag type tool?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I have a couple of these with 3 levers - One was used, and has one or two old steel cable ends still attached - or had them when I got it - Looks like the guy used electrical cable eyes swaged (maybe soldered?) on the cable.   Not forks, but worked for him.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is the cable a "pull" cable or is it "push" also?

Posted

AS sell the swager forks but the tool you need is over $6k.  They can make them up for you see P 141 of the current catalog.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think some Bowden cables inside a sheath are .071" diameter, and a stud type fitting, where the wire goes thru a small hole and is held by a screw, or clamped, like some carb fittings and trim tab fittings, are made to fit this lever assembly.  I would have to search Spruce to verify that.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

New throttle cable from motorcycle parts co.?

Lotsa cable termination options at PilotShop.com

How about THIS ?

Or, maybe THIS ?

Or, price a custom cable assembly HERE .

Edited by dholly

Posted

Going to try this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hope that the friction is high enough to hold the cable long term!  Its damn sure worth trying I spose.

:BC:

Posted

Be sure and paint a slippage mark from the fitting on to the cable so you can detect any movement between the parts.

Posted

Well tried that Fork today and the cable is just barely too small. I think the Fork is for a 3/32nd or so. Back to the drawing board. I am thinking a silver solder job would work. Used to make a lot of pushrods for RC planes that way. Pics show you what I am working with.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg