Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Pressure Instrument

12 posts in this topic

Posted

That's about the best price I have seen on one for remote reading.  Spruce has a direct reading Marine gauge for about $25-29 - since my fuel lines go thru the cockpit I have considered using it, but guess that might be one more place for a leak in an accident.    EDMO

Posted

I think you need the sender and the instrument, it doesn't look like the instrument comes with the sender - abour $40 for each component for a total of $80.

Mark

Posted

You can use an isolator and run a mechanical gauge if you don't want electric. That would cost more though, but more accurate.

1 person likes this

Posted

There are two kinds of fuel pressure gauges, the wet and the electric.

A wet one routes the pressurized fuel to the gauge, so any leak becomes a really big problem as the leak pours gasoline on your knees! Wet gauges cost about 15 to 20 on ebay and twice as much thru aircraft houses. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Gauge-0-15-psi-Fuel-Pressure-Oil-Pressure-1-5-Midnight-Black-Liquid-/331519166762?hash=item4d3015092a:g:eJ4AAOxybetSAp10&vxp=mtr) 

The electric have a sender unit and an electric gauge, and cost a heap more, typically 50 to 100. And the pressure you're measuring is only a few PSI (maybe 4) so the gauge has to be a sensitive one.

Nick

Posted

A wet one routes the pressurized fuel to the gauge, so any leak becomes a really big problem as the leak pours gasoline on your knees! Wet gauges cost about 15 to 20 on ebay and twice as much thru aircraft houses. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Gauge-0-15-psi-Fuel-Pressure-Oil-Pressure-1-5-Midnight-Black-Liquid-/331519166762?hash=item4d3015092a:g:eJ4AAOxybetSAp10&vxp=mtr) 

The electric have a sender unit and an electric gauge, and cost a heap more, typically 50 to 100. And the pressure you're measuring is only a few PSI (maybe 4) so the gauge has to be a sensitive one.

Nick

You can always put a shutoff valve on the line leading to a direct pressure gauge in the slim chance your badly installed fittings leak (Aren't they supposed to be tested before takeoff?)   EDMO

Posted

Just curious what the value added of a fuel pressure gauge is? 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I don't know what pressure the 912 engines need, but for my Soob with a Holly carb, I need 2 - 6+ lbs of fuel pressure to make max performance - If the pressure gage that normally says 6 lbs falls down to 3 or 4 lbs pressure, then I need to check my filters or lines for blockage, or figure my pump is going bad, or turn on my aux pump.   If the gage says below that, then I need to find a landing spot.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

They will tell you of the health of your fuel pump and filtering system.

More practical than a flow meter. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

They will tell you of the health of your fuel pump and filtering system.

More practical than a flow meter. 

Way to go Larry - Short and to the point...  It just don't figure your fuel usage, if you worry about that. EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Nick

If you want to be safe, like the electronic gauge, you can spend a bit more and get one of these. That will keep the pressurized fuel out of the cockpit and still have a mechanical gauge. BTW this is a good price!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-Fuel-Gauge-Isolator-2650-425D-see-list-of-gauges-/322106577782?hash=item4aff0c5376:g:qgMAAOSw1KxXNNZ4&vxp=mtr

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

Great feedback.  Many thanks!