Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing/ Strut bolts

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Are the 1/4 bolts up top and 5/16 bolts down on the bottom just AN bolts or are they some high test shear bolts? Just wondering

Posted

they are AN bolts

Posted (edited)

TJay,   Yes, they are AN bolts.

Unless the Kitfox 1 is different than any Kitfox 2, or 3 that I have owned, the lower fitting takes a 3/8" bolt, but maybe mine were modified.  My Kitfox 1 fuselage is hanging up high, so I cant get to it to measure it.   It probably wont matter if yours is 5/16"  - it will be stronger than the 1/4" top strut bolt.   (Which BTW, is also used on the 1700 GW Magnum)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

TJay,   Yes, they are AN bolts.

Unless the Kitfox 1 is different than any Kitfox 2, or 3 that I have owned, the lower fitting takes a 3/8" bolt, but maybe mine were modified.  My Kitfox 1 fuselage is hanging up high, so I cant get to it to measure it.   It probably wont matter if yours is 5/16"  - it will be stronger than the 1/4" top strut bolt.   (Which BTW, is also used on the 1700 GW Magnum)   EDMO

I think mine is a 5/16 bolt on the bottom, been so long since I tore it down I cant remember that far back. Does any know what the kitfox 3's and 4's run,

Posted

Just looked in my Kitfox 4 manual and it calls out a AN6-11 bolt.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I guess if someone wanted to do the research (Spruce?) to find out whether ONE 5/16 or a 3/8 bolt is equal or greater shear strength than the TWO 1/4" upper strut bolts combined, then they could see how it figures out, or use the TLAR principle, and go with 3/8.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just grabbed my calculator, and if I remember right, area = Pie X Radius squared.  If that's correct, two 1/4" bolts are .098 square inches, one  5/16" bolt is .076 square inches, and one 3/8" bolt is .110 square inches in area.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Just grabbed my calculator, and if I remember right, area = Pie X Radius squared.  If that's correct, two 1/4" bolts are .098 square inches, one  5/16" bolt is .076 square inches, and one 3/8" bolt is .110 square inches in area.  Jim Chuk

Yeh - TLAR works every time!  "Bigger is Better"!  :lol:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO