Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spring Condensation

18 posts in this topic

Posted

It is that time of the year for super bad hanger condensation. Looked under my Bandit before flying tonight and the belly was dripping with water. The brakes where also rusted. When we get 60 degree days and high humidity with a cold concrete floor the water drips off of everything. I try to get over to the hanger this time of year and fly both planes at least once a week to dry them out.

IMAG0846.jpg

IMAG0845.jpg

Posted

I had to swim through my hangar the other day...

Posted

At least ya'll still have a hangar over the planes... mine sits out in the wind and rain.  The good news is there is a new hangar being built at the airport.. only 750 a month for rental or I could buy it for 280k
... to house a 15k plane... hmmm..
 :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I can deal with that.

This is what my airport looked like a few springs ago...

p1010083.jpg

Posted

damn, that sucks!  makes me glad I don't live in flood country!

Posted

Looks like there is plenty of room on runway 3 to land and taxi to the one dry hangar in an Avid.

Posted

I didn't think we did.  Its the first time it happened in recorded history.  They lost several planes in the top hangar that was in the low spot of the field.  The FBO hangar and the hangar where I now keep mine got a couple feet of water but the newer T-hangars were high and dry thankfully.

Posted

I'm not sure why people build in flood plains.

Posted

Same reason they voted for Obama..... :flamegun:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I didn't think we did.  Its the first time it happened in recorded history.  They lost several planes in the top hangar that was in the low spot of the field.  The FBO hangar and the hangar where I now keep mine got a couple feet of water but the newer T-hangars were high and dry thankfully.

Damn this vBulliten format drives me nuts!!! Anyway...

They got 20" 50 miles from here in 48 hrs. Everything is flooded. A friend hanged his 185 from the hanger as high as he could get it. Even pulled the wheels and brakes.

You don't have much choice here where it is flat. High ground is 85 to 100'.

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

It is that time of the year for super bad hanger condensation. Looked under my Bandit before flying tonight and the belly was dripping with water. The brakes where also rusted. When we get 60 degree days and high humidity with a cold concrete floor the water drips off of everything. I try to get over to the hanger this time of year and fly both planes at least once a week to dry them out.

IMAG0846.jpg

IMAG0845.jpg

Maybe some fans would help? That is what I do here.

Posted

Looks like you will get to use those skis again if you get what we are getting in northern Mn.  First one was out my living room window this morning, second was looking down the strip as it was getting dark this evening.  Jim Chuk

Photo0437.jpg

Photo0438.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like my area is getting hit with some spring snow storms as well.  I may be able to actually go on skis for a flight or two this spring :lol:  There has not been enough snow at my airport to use my straight ski's this year.  I may have to break down and build a set of wheel skis or move down south where ya'll get enough snow these days to use my straight skis.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I keep a couple of strategically placed box fans running in my hanger.  Helps considerably in keeping condensation from occurring.

1 person likes this

Posted

We got about 14" of spring condensation last night...

Posted

'Had 4 inches of water in the shop building in Upper Michigan.  The snowplow driver took a particularly generous sweep of the road last week and filled the drainage ditch with a giant slushy turning the adjacent lot into a pond.  The water went down pretty quickly after I raked the bigger chunks of snow and ice out of the ditch.

Posted

I suspect an added benefit of the fans running in the hanger is scaring off roosting/nesting birds.  They don't seem to be coming into my hanger anymore. 

Posted

We had a couple of more  inches of "condensation" on the ground this  morning in northern Mn.  Jim Chuk