Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First roll

23 posts in this topic

Posted

My first barrel attempt in avid .not enough pitch up in begining but only first try https://youtu.be/atbp8l1bsEI

1 person likes this

Posted

Having flown aerobatics I'm not sure this is the plane I would try them in. However that being said, when you do pitch up, make sure you take just one second (after pitching up enough) to unload the wings. The airplane will roll faster. 

Just be safe and don't do anything outside the envelope. Lots of altitude. Again, I don't condone this with this aircraft but I realize people will do what they want either way. Still, thanks for the video!

Kenneth

Posted

Pretty cool video.  Just as a warning though, this may not be the type of thing to put on YouTube.  Big Brother is watching…

Posted

:o

Posted

Pretty cool video.  Just as a warning though, this may not be the type of thing to put on YouTube.  Big Brother is watching…

Just curious why you would warn about Big Brother watching. Nothing done was illegal....as far as you can tell from the video. It doesn't show no parachutes or anything like that. I'm a safety advocate but don't see why it would be a problem to post something like this up. Even if I might not do it myself.

Posted (edited)

There was a small booklet telling how to do aerobatic maneuvers for the Avid Aerobat.  I have a copy, and these maneuvers are approved for it.   

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Quite likely the operating limitations say that the aircraft is not approved for aerobatics.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought I read that you are supposed to list all maneuvers done during Phase 1 testing? ???  Guess you could put it back into Phase 1 to do more?

EDMO

Posted

Having flown aerobatics I'm not sure this is the plane I would try them in. However that being said, when you do pitch up, make sure you take just one second (after pitching up enough) to unload the wings. The airplane will roll faster. 

Just be safe and don't do anything outside the envelope. Lots of altitude. Again, I don't condone this with this aircraft but I realize people will do what they want either way. Still, thanks for the video!

Kenneth

thanks Ken I think your exactly right .I think I was fixated on keeping the floats down that my nerves kept the back pressure through the whole maneuver. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Kenneth

thanks Ken I think your exactly right .I think I was fixated on keeping the floats down that my nerves kept the back pressure through the whole maneuver. 

You had floats on and rolled it - Awesome!  I would never have tried that with floats - but I don't fly floats!

Or, did you meant "floating"?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Floats in the carb. I think?

Edited by IFMT

Posted (edited)

Floats in the carb. I think?

Duh!  The only aerobatics I have flown was in an injected engine T-34....Never thought about carb floats!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It's gone. :unsure:

Posted

3 people like this

Posted

Checked into a few regulations and reposted .

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like fun

Posted

The Avid promo video showed the MK IV and the Magnum doing 4 point rolls and loops.  Jimmy Franklin was doing loops with snaps at the top in his KF at airshows.  Flown properly you would be amazed at what these planes can do, I know I was shocked watching some of the videos.

Nice video, look forward to seeing more posted!

:BC:

Posted

Checked into a few regulations and reposted .

Hey, you can always say, "no, that wasn't me!" :P

That wasn't too bad for a first try, not at all.

And I have seen the video of the KF doing loops, etc.

BTW I was with my buddy and 2 others in a 185 and that crazy sucker did a couple rolls!!! If you don't get caught (or have no N number in the video) it didn't happen! :)

Posted

When I was in Avschool the NTSB came to the college and showed us some films - One that I remember most, was a video of a guy who was probably flying a T-craft or Champ, and he filmed his attempt at doing his first loop - Unfortunately, he was too low, and the film showed the view from the cockpit as he got close to the bottom and started hitting small leafless tree tops until the crash!   I wonder if he put that in his logbook?

EDMO

Posted

Sounds like he was probably the kind of pilot that would...if he could still write! :lmao:

Posted

I have a buddy that has great cockpit video of looping and rolling his clip wing t crate.. the video ends with an awesome spin into the trees...after the video blacks out and you just hear him moaning it cuts to the hospital room with him trying to remember what happened :lol:  It was a good but expensive video and done long before HD (pretty sure it was between 1990 and 1993).  I love good video's and have made a bunch myself.  Some I have posted but many many others are only for watching around the fire when having an adult beverage and making sure big brother is not around :lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

I have a buddy that has great cockpit video of looping and rolling his clip wing t crate.. the video ends with an awesome spin into the trees...after the video blacks out and you just hear him moaning it cuts to the hospital room with him trying to remember what happened :lol:  It was a good but expensive video and done long before HD (pretty sure it was between 1990 and 1993).  I love good video's and have made a bunch myself.  Some I have posted but many many others are only for watching around the fire when having an adult beverage and making sure big brother is not around :lmao:

I think that may be the same film that the NTSB showed us in Anchorage?  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I am sure it was... Jeremy was made a bit infamous by that one...